PDA

View Full Version : Shop Storage Cabinet Question

Mike Goetzke
12-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm planning to build a rolling storage cabinet for the shop from plywood. On the face I will have a FF but what are the best options to avoid exposed ply edges on the back corners?

Here is what I thought of so far:
1) 45 deg joints (don't like doing this on large panels)
2) adding solid wood (1/4 round)
3) solid wood veneer strip
4) lock miter joints (this would be a reason to buy a lock miter bit, but, can you do this on plywood?)
5) frame/thin ply panel construction

Thanks,

Mike

Ray Newman
12-29-2012, 11:54 AM
On a similar project, I made the back edging from 1/4 or 3/8" hardwood for wear and tear. I cut the stiles to fit and then fitted the rails in between. That way, the arils have no exposed edges/ends when viewed. Now if you are worried about someone viewing the back, I would just miter the corners.

Speaking from personal experince, lock miters are very tricky to set up and must be utilized with a table mounted router. I 'dunno' if a lock miter bit can be used with plywood. Have a feeling that the work might blow out/splinter, etc. From what I have seen and read, lock miter bits are used with solid wood. Now that does not mean that it would not work with ply, but I have doubts that it would.

On another board, a poster fabricated a rolling tool cabinet and supply cabinet from plywood that you might find helpful. Plans were from an old issue of Wood magazine. Both are 2'x2'x5' 4":
http://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php/topic,7754.0.html

http://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php/topic,7623.0.html

Alan Bienlein
12-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Yes you can do lock miters in plywood. The picture is from another wood working forum that a member posted to show you can combine different materials.

Rick Potter
12-29-2012, 1:16 PM
I assume it is looks you are concerned with. I think I would just make another face frame with flat panels for the back.

Rick Potter

Mike Goetzke
12-29-2012, 1:36 PM
I assume it is looks you are concerned with. I think I would just make another face frame with flat panels for the back.

Rick Potter

Even though it's for storage and function as my router table I want it to look nice.

After I built kitchen cabinets for our house using my track saw system for almost everything I sold my Unisaw. Almost every day I think about how much of an error I made selling it with my storage/router table in the wing. It was about perfect for my needs. I could have just added casters and been done with it. Oh well I just about have the design done for this new cabinet - once it's completed I can stop crying over the old one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Sale/IMG_3595.jpg

Mike

John Piwaron
12-29-2012, 1:43 PM
Look for the pictures of my "new" (last spring) router table. I used plywood to make the cabinet part. The back edges are just plywood. I can see the plys. I felt it wasn't important enough to spend any time on making the back look good.

The front is different. I used 3/4" squares (approximately) to cover the front edges of the plywood. They are simply glued in place. No biscuits or dominos. The plywood parts though are joined with dominos. lots and lots and lots of dominos. :) It was quite the experience for me.

Mark Largent
12-29-2012, 5:44 PM
Even though it's for storage and function as my router table I want it to look nice.

After I built kitchen cabinets for our house using my track saw system for almost everything I sold my Unisaw. Almost every day I think about how much of an error I made selling it with my storage/router table in the wing. It was about perfect for my needs. I could have just added casters and been done with it. Oh well I just about have the design done for this new cabinet - once it's completed I can stop crying over the old one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Sale/IMG_3595.jpg

Mike

That's just plain beautiful!

Ray Newman
12-29-2012, 6:58 PM
Alan Beinlein: impressive that a Fellow Woodworker could make a lock miter work with plyw'd. Besides myself, I know of several others who tried it and failed.

Charlie Barnes
12-29-2012, 7:20 PM
Yes you can do lock miters in plywood. The picture is from another wood working forum that a member posted to show you can combine different materials.

My concern with this would be how fast it would dull the bit due to the glue in the plywood. But obviously it would work.