PDA

View Full Version : Red cedar

Rich Stewart
04-27-2005, 1:42 PM
I heard a feller say that red cedar is a very nice turning wood. I found a whole tree that has been cut up and dumped in the woods where i walk my dog. Has been there for the fifteen years i have been here. Never thought much about it before but got my chainsaw out and cut a piece and ha my neighbor mill it down. Looks like brand new inside. Smells real nice too. I am going to turn a couple spindle like pieces first and then if it works well I will try my first bowl out of it. Any suggestions on finishing? I have been using BLO and french polish on my other stuff with pretty fair results.

Raymond Overman
04-27-2005, 2:07 PM
I have a considerable amount of this to turn and I've almost got my tuit round to get back on it. Here's my thoughts after turning one piece of this.

I suggest you sharpen your tools, ride the bevel, and watch out for splinters. While the finished product turns out really nice (ala Jim Ketron) my experience when it came to cutting was bad tearout and nasty looking splinters. Even from what would be considered green wood. Of course what I'm used to is a 6-8 inch ribbon of green cherry or pecan coming off the end of my gouge with little or no effort and a very aggresive cut so I may be over reacting. Take the corners off at the bandsaw or tablesaw to save time and headache at the lathe.

Good luck and happy turning!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-27-2005, 2:29 PM
Congrats on the find! Cedar is naturally resistant to rot, so that is probably why it looks so good!

Carole Valentine
04-27-2005, 7:55 PM
Rich, cedar can be contrary...it will split and tear out on you if you are not careful...especially when dry, but the end results are worth it. Be sure your tools are VERY sharp. A dleictae shear cut will usually take care of any tear out. I use a Danish Oil finish followed by Beal buffing. I think this pic was taken before the Beal buff.http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/spaltedcedar2_opt.jpg

Carole Valentine
04-27-2005, 7:57 PM
Where's spellcheck when you need it? That was "split" not "spit" and "delicate" not whatever the gremlins typed in place of it! LOL

That's OK Carole - I edited the post and fixed it :D

Rich Stewart
04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
That bowl is amazing!!! I think I can say i like that bowl better than any one I have seen. It is beautiful. I hope I can do something like that. I'm off tomorrow and hope to turn a piece of it. I think I'll make some kind of candle holder. I'll send some pics if it is not too bad. Maybe even if it is bad. You can always use a good giggle.

Ernie Nyvall
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm glad you corrected that Carole. I just got some cedar and I darn sure didn't want it spitting on me. Actually read your first post and didn't notice till you pointed it out.

Great find Rich.

Ernie

Carole Valentine
04-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Rich. As you can see, you can get some nice spalting in the sapwood of cedar. This log lay on the ground in the shade for 2 years. It was not Anchorsealed or anything because I wasn't a turner at the time. When I started trying to turn something besides pens, it was all I had besides some flat lumber so I went out, cut off the split /checked sections and this was what I found. I didn't know cedar spalted!