PDA

View Full Version : Auger Bit Quality

Caleb James
12-29-2012, 8:03 AM
Between the 2 major players (Irwin & Jennings), does the quality of their auger bits decrease with newer production dates? I am looking to pick up a set of Irwins and was wondering if there was any reason I should avoid buying a certain set due to quality concerns. I seem to remember reading on this forum that the metal used in the later productions was inferior than that used previously?

David Weaver
12-29-2012, 8:46 AM
I'm not sure I'd worry about it with auger bits. There are no slight angles on them (like there would be on a paring chisel), and they have to be soft enough to file - even softer than the lower quality alloy chisels from the 50s and 60s.

Jason Coen
12-29-2012, 9:38 AM
My general rule of thumb for buying auger bits is as long as the lead screw isn't buggered and the flutes are free from rust, then what else can really be wrong? I use auger bits so infrequently for critical work and they can be found so readily that I'm not sure the fine points of what is best among the lot are worth divining.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
The only thing I'd avoid is the new manufacture Irwin bits from Brazil; you can find these online. I was surprised they were still available. I ordered one from Amazon with something else once, and it was unserviceable, really. But outside of those, anything in decent shape should be fine - I've gotten bits that work great from new-old-stock at hardware stores, and later Craftsman brand ones and others I've stumbled across.

Gary Herrmann
12-29-2012, 11:43 AM
As long as they're straight, have clean lead screws and decent length left to their cutting spurs, you're fine.

If it makes you feel better about it, stick with those made in the US. They're everywhere.

Jim Koepke
12-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Auger bits are fairly common. If you purchase a set on ebay and one or two are bad it is easy replace them.

As stated above, do not buy bits that are damaged. They need the lead screw, the spurs have to be long enough to completely scribe a full circle before the cutting lips start cutting in order to bore clean holes.

Here is some more detail on auger bits:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238-A-Bit-About-Augers&p=1326457#post1326457

jtk