PDA

View Full Version : Lumber suppliers in Central Illinois?

Brad Cambell
12-28-2012, 8:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but where are some lumber suppliers in the Bloomington, IL area?

Jerry Wright
12-28-2012, 9:50 PM
Search "central Illinois wood source" on this site. You will find references to several places near Peking and sycamore.

Ronald Blue
12-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Mike Heidrick is in the Bloomington area so maybe he will chime in here. I know there is a place in Pekin but have never been there. There is Corsaw Hardwood Lumber in Smithfield which is getting a little further away. I know they have good stuff but you will pay for it. What are you seeking? Sometimes that is the best way to find a supplier for your needs. I am about 2 hours west of you and have a number of options available on the other side of the mighty Mississippi.

Richard Coers
12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Closer to me in Peoria, but Ericson Log and Lumber in Windsor, IL has great selection and price. Pekin Hardwood you should know about since Millworks closed for you, prices not so great. Quality Wood United in Green Valley, IL is another place. It's had several names over the last few years, so be sure to call before making the trip. I haven't been there since the name change, have no idea about price and quality. CU Woodshop in Champaign. There has been several ads by a guy in Elmwood in the Peoria Craigslist. Don't know him, don't know what quality or price. Hardwood Connection in Sycamore, IL. Fantastic selection of figured and wide stock. Prices reflect the location near Chicago. They cut and dry their own, wonderful guys to deal with. That's about all I know about. Maybe call Prairie Woodworks in Downs and see where they buy from. I'm sure they get it shipped in, but great guys. Might be able to get you some stock if you don't want to pick over the selection.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2012, 1:30 AM
Brad,

Try entering your zip code at this site http://www.woodfinder.com/ .

Mike Heidrick
12-29-2012, 2:34 AM
A buddy, Gary, and I buy from LaVern in Middlebury IN - Teaberry wood which is pretty far (234 miles away or so one way). Also some places in Arthur IL and wherever we can get a deal. Nothing really in Bloomington. Gary Ward in Clinton will typically sell some - GWCustom woods. What are you looking for?

Millworks was WAY overpriced but Russ is a super nice guy. Sorry to see them go.

Dick has the lay of the land with his post above - he is also a super nice guy and very talented and knowledgeable :)

Larry Frank
12-30-2012, 8:34 PM
I visited CU Woodshop in Champaign this last weekend and it is a pretty amazing place with lots of tools, equipment and wood for sale. If you are every in the area, I would recommend a stop. They also run a Woodworking School.

Ronald Blue
12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
It's hard to steer you in any specific direction without knowing what you seek. I might have to make a road trip to Champaign soon. Sounds very interesting.