PDA

View Full Version : Moxon vice and bench on bench

Roger Myers
12-28-2012, 7:16 PM
During the last week of school before break, i put together this bench on bench with a Moxon style vice attached. The Moxon hardware is from Benchcrafted and is wonderful! On the bench on bench I added a Lee Valley inset vice that I have had for a year or so, planning to use in this type application. Bored a few dog holes and cobbled up a couple of stops. Will be excellent for inlay work and carving in addition tomit's primary role in dovetailing.
The entire set-up can be clamped to the bench or held in place with a holdfast (as I am doing here).
This has already proven to be an excellent addition to the bench and can easily be moved from bench to bench as we change each semester.
The bench and chops are made from walnut I had in the shop and the riser is poplar... Just a few hours into assembling the pieces, and worth every penny spent and time in making it.

Jason Coen
12-28-2012, 7:21 PM
Looks nice! Reminds me of the little bench Steve Latta uses.

Roger Myers
12-28-2012, 7:31 PM
Looks nice! Reminds me of the little bench Steve Latta uses.
Yes, Steve's bench on bench was part of the inspiration for this. And I made sure the space between the dogs would handle legs for inlay...
Roger

David Wong
12-28-2012, 7:37 PM
I have been thinking about a similar bench on bench, but I was worried about the weight of the beast. I was afraid it would become a pain lifting it on and off the main bench, and storing it. Has this been a problem?

Jason Coen
12-28-2012, 7:42 PM
Yes, Steve's bench on bench was part of the inspiration for this. And I made sure the space between the dogs would handle legs for inlay...
Roger

I've been meaning to do the same. My neck and shoulders kill me after doing any substantial inlay work in one sitting. I really like the Moxon integration and the inset vise - I'll have to file that away. Thanks for posting it.

Roger Myers
12-28-2012, 7:57 PM
I have been thinking about a similar bench on bench, but I was worried about the weight of the beast. I was afraid it would become a pain lifting it on and off the main bench, and storing it. Has this been a problem?
Well, i certainly overbuilt it, as I wanted to be able to use holdfasts in the bench on bench so needed some thickness, but even so, I would estimate wight at 50 ponds or so.... Easy enough to lift off and store below the bench. When at home on the big bench, it will probably spend 90% of its time on one end of the bench... Coming off only when I need the full bench as in planing long stock....
Roger

Chuck Nickerson
12-31-2012, 2:10 PM

David, I built my first Moxon vise using the Benchcrafted hardware, 8/4 oak, and made it 26" between the screws for casework. It's HEAVY.

As a result, I've made a second one (keeping the first) using wood screws, 6/4 poplar, and 14" between screws for smaller work. It's much lighter.

With both I'm covered.

David Wong
12-31-2012, 2:51 PM
Roger, Chuck,

Thanks for the insights. Sometime ago, I bought the Benchcrafted hardware, and milled some 8/4 birch to make a small bench on bench. Stacking all the wood and hardware together, I was somewhat surprised at how heavy it was. For a bench, generally heavy is good, but I will need to store it after use in my small garage shop. Since I already have the hardware, I will go ahead and build the bench and live with it a while. I like the idea of using wood screws - perhaps a future modification.

Thanks again,
David

Gary Hodgin
12-31-2012, 2:52 PM
Looks great. I'd thought about building the bench on bench but decided to go with the moxon vise. My bench top is on an adjust-a-bench so I really didn't need the height. I ended up just buying the vise from Tools For Woodworking. It's a little different from the Benchcrafted version. Just got it a few days ago and haven't had the opportunity to use it.