PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Oneida 2 hp Cyclone

Ed Weiser
12-28-2012, 2:14 PM
I have a 2 hp Oneida Comp-Sys 2Ext35 that I bought from Oneida about 10 years ago. I am considering modifying it to upgrade the filter and impeller. The filter is a pleated spun-bond polyester and I think Wynn Environmental sells a replacement that is true HEPA. The impeller is 12.5" in diameter. At the same time Oneida sold a commercial model of this cyclone with a 14" impeller. The motor was the same 2 hp Leeson and the dimensions of the cyclone were the same. The fan curve for the commercial model is better-it outputs the same CFM at 2" SP higher, something that would be helpful since I am in the process of moving my shop and redoing the DC setup. Any comments or experience? Thanks.

Ole Anderson
12-28-2012, 3:14 PM
Talk to the folks at Oneida, that won't cost you anything. They should be able to comment on upping the impeller to a 14" and also they have quality HEPA filters that might fit.

David Kumm
12-28-2012, 4:05 PM
You should check several things. Look at the current amp draw with the gates open and verify you are well below FLA on the motor plate. Pull the motor plate off the impeller housing and verify the opening is big enough for a 14" impeller to fit through. The impellers are held with double set screws so get them both out and replace with new not reused set screws . Wynn sells many filters but none are hepa and even the Oneida are not true hepa. Kind of irrelevant as both are better at filtering than anything else you have. Ask about pressure drop as the one with the least will give you more cfm assuming you have the room in amp load. Filters are rated by how much cfm they can handle and exceeding that is bad so more sq ft is better. You can improve the current system with more filter area. The 14" impeller is about as large as a 2 hp motor can handle so the pipe and filter restrictions need to be balanced to the amps drawn or you will burn out the motor before you realize the problem. Check the amps with every gate combination after replacement to verify. Dave

Ed Weiser
12-28-2012, 4:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just spoke to Oneida. They were very nice and supplied some needed documentation I had misplaced. On the other hand, they are not very receptive to modifications to their equipment. I may have to purchase the impeller fan elsewhere. I think I will set it up with the lowest sp ducting in the shop I can and measure flow and amp draw at each station before I modify the existing DC. If it's not adequate then I will proceed. Thanks again.

Jim Andrew
12-29-2012, 9:28 AM
Might be smart to just put your old cyclone on craigslist and get a new one. I've done some projects similar to this, and after spending time and money wished I had just sold the old and bought new.