PDA

View Full Version : Question on a Temco FM50 VFD

Chris Rosenberger
12-28-2012, 2:04 PM
I just installed a Temco FM50 VFD on my General 220 mortiser. It works great, but I have some questions on it since this is the first VFD I have used.

Does it need to be in a dust free enclosure?

When the machine is not running, the display flashes. Is this normal?

Do I keep power to the VFD all of the time?

mreza Salav
12-28-2012, 2:41 PM
I don't have a lot of experience but did install recently the same VFD on my bandsaw. Yes, it does flash when not in use. I don't think you should totally enclose it as it needs to cool down.
As for power, I plug it when I go into the shop and have an extra switch to turn on/off the saw. At the end of the shop session I just unplug it.
Here is my setup:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189669-Running-my-3-phase-bandsaw-using-a-VFD&highlight=

Mike Delyster
12-28-2012, 2:44 PM
No it doesn't need to be in a dust free environment, but excessive dust isn't good, blow it out occasionally with compressed air.
Yes the display will flash when not in use.
I always unplug mine when not in use.

David Kumm
12-28-2012, 2:56 PM
Don't know if your input is 120 or 240 but I like a switch as a more positive cutoff for both legs with 240. If the General runs at 3600 rpm, let me know what hz you like for speed. I prefer 50 hz on my old Fay and Egan mortiser. Dave

Chris Rosenberger
12-28-2012, 3:32 PM
Because I wanted to make the install simple until I made sure it worked, I do not have a switch between the VFD & outlet.

The VFD is powered by 240 volt 3ph.

I checked the motor junction box & there is still power to the motor with the motor stopped.
Could I use the magnetic starter on the machine as the switch behind the VFD?

The mortiser was running at 3450 RPM. The reason for my installing the VFD was to lower the RPMs to around 1725.
I cut several 3/8" mortises in red oak with it at the lower RPM. It cut fine & the bit stayed cool.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Shop%20Album/DSCF2134.jpg

john lawson
12-28-2012, 3:59 PM
Interesting; I restored an old Centauro 24", and the set up is almost exactly the same, the bandsaw even looks the same!!

My TECO does a great job, the brake works great and my motor is a 60 hertz so I can run it as the VFD came set up

David Kumm
12-28-2012, 4:07 PM
John, do you use the manual switch to power up the vfd? Those older Centauros are a great saw. Dave

john lawson
12-28-2012, 4:24 PM
Yes, I power up the VFD and use the on/off switch on the VFD to power up the machine.

I also push the manual switch to off when I take the tension off the blade as a reminder to re-tension it when the I have to push the manual switch to on.

I went through an extensive rehab of this machine, it was literally drug out of an old barn and it took me several months to get it done, but it is a great machine.

mreza Salav
12-28-2012, 4:40 PM
John, your setup indeed looks similar to mine. My saw is a 24" Griggio (well 600mm to be exact which is a bit smaller than 24"). I think it's an ACM built saw though.

john lawson
12-28-2012, 5:23 PM
My saw is a CO600 (600 mm) and if you scratched the paint very deep I believe the DNA would say these are clones.

David Kumm
12-28-2012, 8:37 PM
You can not use a mag starter between the vfd and the motor. A mag switch can start up a vfd.
The General is drop dead gorgeous
ACM and Centauro are not clones. The ACM 00 series, 400,500,600 are lighter duty, the 440,540,640 are heavier but not quite as heavy as the Centauro. Centauro fit and finish often isn't as good but frame strength is stoutest of the italian saws.
Chris, do you have utility three phase in the shop? Dave

Chris Rosenberger
12-31-2012, 2:24 PM
I finished up the install today. I connected the magnetic starter to the VFD & made a cover for the exposed wires on the bottom of the VFD.
After I got the starter hooked up, I decided I needed a way to remember to turn off the magnetic starter after I was finished using the machine. The VFD display is aimed away from the main work area of the shop. I knew I would never remember to turn the power off without a well seen indicator of some kind. I was just going to add a simple light that I could see from the main work area. As I was walking through the light department at a big box store, I remembered I had a work light with a magnetic base. I I found a good location to mount the light & hooked it up to the starter. Now when the power is on to the VFD, the work light is on plus I have better lighting at the chisel.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Shop%20Album/DSCF2143_zpsdf9c40ac.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Shop%20Album/DSCF2142_zpse993bd4d.jpg