PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Beismeyer 50 fence system!!

Brad Cambell
12-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Merry Christmas to me. :D I just got my fence and rail to upgrade my original Jet rail and fence. I will have to definitely support the rails. These things are heavy.

I will be building an outfeed table. Eventually I will be building cabinets but for now I will just build a table. I've got some ideas but what has worked for you?

BTW, this a great forum.

PS. I see that I managed to miss-spell Biesemeyer! DOH!!!!

glenn bradley
12-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I have the shorter version of that fence and love it. Built like a tank. It does lack some of the niceties that the "better-than-Beis" fences have but, you would have a hard time getting me to change. I needed additional support when I shifted my front tube over to gain another 10" of capacity (you won't have to). Rather than just prop the end up on legs, I built storage into a "pedestal" as shown in these old pictures (2006), the slide-out pegboard panel now has quite a bit more "stuff" on it and is very handy:

Jim O'Dell
12-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I built a mobile base for my G0691. I moved the 50" factory rails to the right to get to 65". The cabinet I built under the extension incorporates the support for the rails and table.
249284249285 On the picture on the right, the jig knobs are in slots so that board slides up and down. Just under that are some 3/8" bolts with T-nuts in the top of the lower board that allow adjustment up and down. The jig knobs are just for locking it in place. I have this on each side of the cabinet. Works great! Jim.

Brad Cambell
12-28-2012, 3:05 PM
I just removed my fence and rail(s). You are right, they are built like a tank! I couldn't believe how heavy the mounting brackets were. The rail is very robust, as is the fence. I will be going to the home center to buy what I need for the table extension.
I am thinking of doing something like you Jim with the exception of making my saw fixed. It will be hard for me to not cut corners just to get this fence going!

I am going to make the table top out of MDF. What is the preferred surface to glue to the MDF?

glenn bradley
12-28-2012, 3:44 PM
I am going to make the table top out of MDF. What is the preferred surface to glue to the MDF?

My dad is still using a plain MDF with Shellac and Johnson's Paste Wax for a topcoat that I added to that saw when I had it. It still looks great. Unless you are going to do transmission work on the side, laminates are more bother than I have time for. But that's me. Laminates do look really cool and obviously will survive the errant impact that MDF will not. Consider your work methods and the things that you do and then decide what is best for you. If you are going to be sliding tons of plywood across the surface, I would consider something tougher than shellac'd MDF ;-)

Ben Hatcher
12-28-2012, 4:06 PM
I just used melamine for the outfeed and a piece of my old counter top for the wing. One thing I missed about my old fence was the T-Track slots for attaching board buddies, sacrificial fences, etc. so I drilled, taped and bolted a piece of T-Track to the top of my new fence.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-28-2012, 6:47 PM
Congrats. I got one for my uni-saw back around 1995 or 1996. Some of the best money I ever spent. I wouldn't want a table saw with out one.

Brad Cambell
12-28-2012, 8:43 PM
Congrats. I got one for my uni-saw back around 1995 or 1996. Some of the best money I ever spent. I wouldn't want a table saw with out one.

Thanks Joe, I am looking forward to getting this on my saw. It should be a game changer. I hope to get it on by the end of the weekend. Nothing motivates me more than a new tool to get set up.

Don Jarvie
12-28-2012, 9:27 PM
I made mine out of plywood and MDF. Plywood on the bottom and MDF on the top with a plywood frame. I then added formica for the top and 3 sides not connected to the saw. I dropped my router lift into the extension so I can use my Bies fence to attach the router fence to. I used contact cement to attach the MDF.

Jim O'Dell
12-28-2012, 10:40 PM
I used MDF and made a torsion box then used laminate on it. I like the protection it gives. My outfeed table is just MDF with multiple coats of poly on it, and I kick myself for not spending the extra bucks to get laminate.
I have a 30" Biese fence on the contractor saw on the other side of the extension table. I originally wanted to get a set of Biese rails to go on the 691 and use the same fence between the two saws. Long rails are hard to find now, so unless I make my own, it may not happen. I really like the Biese fence for it's weight. Also, if you need T-track, just get a piece and drill and tap holes in the top of the Biese fence for it. Problem solved. ;) Jim.

Victor Stearns
12-29-2012, 10:00 AM
You are going to love it! I know that I do. Seems so much more accurate once you have it setup.
Good Luck,
Victor

Brad Cambell
12-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Ohhhhhh, I am just getting everything set up. I need to make a couple torsion boxes too. I'm sorry, but I've been waiting for 13 years to get my shed finished so I can get my wood shop started. I have been buying the small stuff like routers, etc. The only big thing was a 10" contractor Jet table saw. It has a cast iron top except for the wings. If I ever do upgrade, I can still use this fence.