PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple time - wood haul day

Roger Chandler
12-28-2012, 6:53 AM
One of our local tree services owner is a friend of our local club. He took down a big ambrosia maple about two weeks ago, and has saved it for our club......we had conflict with the holiday and snow on Wednesday, when we were supposed to cut it up an haul it off for our use.

Today about 6 or 8 of us will gather and haul it off.......I am told they NEED my big Husqvarna 390 XP with 28" bar......I look forward to give it a good workout :) [my 2nd]. I am also told that this particular tree has some spectacular ambrosia stains in it.

If time and circumstances permit, I may post a few pics later this evening! Here's hoping for a safe and fun day collecting what would be firewood otherwise and to the potential treasures hidden in that tree!

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2012, 7:19 AM
Be safe! Looking forward to the photos!

Tony De Masi
12-28-2012, 8:41 AM
Be careful out there Roger. If you have the snow and ice we have then be very careful indeed.

Dan Hintz
12-28-2012, 9:11 AM
Good luck, Roger... took my Husky into the shop about a week ago because it wouldn't start reliably (likely a bad carburetor from the ethanol), waiting for a call to get it back 'cause I have lots of stuff to cut.

allen thunem
12-28-2012, 10:48 AM
i think i am gonna move back east. nothing like that out here in the rockies.

Roger Chandler
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Got home sooner than expected.........not as much wood as I had expected and more guys showed up for wood than expected, so it made for a fairly quick morning. Man .........that 390XP just eats up wood!!! :D

There were some guys who showed after I took a few pics and some of the wood was already loaded, so no pics of the whole load of wood everyone hauled off eventually, but here are some pics of some of the action.

Those 4 pieces in the back of my pickup are 3 of the ambrosia maple and one elm that a friend sent to me via one of our club members......he brought it to the cut & haul day. I also got to meet the tree service owner, Eddie Begoon......nice gentleman, who in years past has done some woodturning of his own......he will keep us in mind to try and save this stuff from the dump or firewood pile! Nice for our club!!!

Roger Chandler
12-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Good luck, Roger... took my Husky into the shop about a week ago because it wouldn't start reliably (likely a bad carburetor from the ethanol), waiting for a call to get it back 'cause I have lots of stuff to cut.

Dan......I had the Husky/Stihl dealer tell me to use ethanol free gas..........which I always do now, and also I put Stabil in it when I purchase a 5 gallon can full. I try to remember to run it dry [not always] but this does prevent the alcohol from drying out the diaphram in the carb and other ethanol related issues.........he also told me to run high test........I would get better power and it would run longer on each fill up.

Dan Hintz
12-28-2012, 6:22 PM
Dan......I had the Husky/Stihl dealer tell me to use ethanol free gas...

Yeah, the trick is finding e-free... most stations add in more than just a few drops.

Roger Chandler
12-28-2012, 6:28 PM
Yeah, the trick is finding e-free... most stations add in more than just a few drops.

We have it available in our area at certain stations........don't know how long the gov't will allow it, but you get better mileage from e-free and saves issues like separation of fuel and the drying out of seals, diaphrams, etc.

Donny Lawson
12-28-2012, 8:20 PM
Roger, looks like you have a pretty good wood supplier too. Nice haul.

Roger Chandler
12-28-2012, 8:23 PM
Roger, looks like you have a pretty good wood supplier too. Nice haul.

Donny.......I am thankful to be blessed with wood the way I am.......I don't pretend to have what you do, but I do have more than I can get to most of the time, and new sources seem to develop from time to time!

Timothy Mann
12-28-2012, 8:37 PM
Very nice, I have a beat up old chain saw I use now, hopeing to upgrade next summer. Great looking wood Roger, congrats.

Kathy Marshall
12-28-2012, 9:19 PM
Nice haul Roger! But I gotta say, it's looks too dang cold to be outside!

Roger Chandler
12-28-2012, 9:29 PM
Nice haul Roger! But I gotta say, it's looks too dang cold to be outside!

Naaah......just about right when you get busy with a big ole chainsaw! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2012, 9:34 PM
That is a great haul Roger and some really nice looking wood.

Roger Chandler
12-28-2012, 11:18 PM
That is a great haul Roger and some really nice looking wood.

Some of the wood had really nice ambrosia stains......some had some really great curl, and there were a couple of smallish burls on one side of the tree......some of the wood was just regular grain.....a real mixed bag! A couple of the guys really went for the ambrosia ......large blanks for those 15-18" bowls they do.....

Peter Blair
12-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Really nice haul even if you didn't get quite as much as you had hoped it looks as though you will be a busy guy.
This may be a really stupid question but I notice the bar of the Husky installed kind o upside down? Is that intentional and if so why?

Dan Hintz
12-29-2012, 11:05 AM
I notice the bar of the Husky installed kind o upside down? Is that intentional and if so why?

It's good to reverse the bar between chain changes to even out wear...

Roger Chandler
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
It's good to reverse the bar between chain changes to even out wear...

Dan has it right......every time I change or even sharpen a chain off the bar, I always reverse the bar to even the wear on it....a good habit to get into.......says so in the owners manual!