View Full Version : Dust collector for specific tools

Jack Burgess
12-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Looking for dust collection idea at the tool for Table saw, drill press, and radial arm saw. Appreciate any plans, ideas or help. I am not too creative in designing something but I am sure there are answers out there

PaPa Jack

Ole Anderson
12-28-2012, 11:55 AM
If you look at the Pentz site, he has sketches of collection at various tools. http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/ducting.cfm#ToolDucting

Julie Moriarty
12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Years ago I bought a Delta drum dust collector and ran DWV piping around the shop ceiling with drop downs and bast gates for the different tools. It has worked pretty well over the years. Only when using smaller tools like an orbital sander or router have I found the need for tool specific dust collectors. I usually use a shop vac for them. BTW, that drum dust collector has wheels and can be used as a specific tool collector for most tools, except maybe for the smaller hand power tools.

Jim O'Dell
12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Looking for dust collection idea at the tool for Table saw, drill press, and radial arm saw. Appreciate any plans, ideas or help. I am not too creative in designing something but I am sure there are answers out there

PaPa Jack

Can you let us know what tools you have? We could better suggest things based on the tools. Jim.

Jim Andrew
12-29-2012, 9:30 AM
I have a vac on my miter saw. Works better than the cyclone for small diameter hoses.

Jack Burgess
12-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks Jim for reply. I have Craftsman radial arm saw, drill press, and table saw 10".

Greg Peterson
12-30-2012, 10:19 PM
For the drill press, I basically made a mini downdraft table. I hook my DC up to the under side of the table. I also Y off the DC via a flex tube and place a 4"x2" hood where ever I want to place it (basically as close to the bit as is reasonable).

Between the hood and the downdraft table, there is no mess and the fines seem to be getting collected.

Jack Burgess
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks Greg, two more questions. Any ideas on the radial arm and table saw? Also on the down draft box (pretty neat) what are all the screws and circles for ? Not sure I understood the total deal.