PDA

View Full Version : Laser Value Epilog Legend 36 80 watt

Jeff Greer
12-27-2012, 5:23 PM
He there guys, when I bought my business the laser they had been using "quit" so we split the cost of a New one. The daughter that pretty much run the business as far as making products said it "finally died". Well I have been letting it sit and tackled it the other week. The laser was intermittent on firing - liquid cooled. Well went thru and cleaned all the connections, Fired right up. Put a meter on the power supply-rock solid readings that didn't budge. Ran it with out the chiller on - the laser quit firing after a bit - I am sure of a heat shut off, turn on the chiller - bang - instant laser again. I have rastered and vectored the poop out of it and no issues. I don't know if it was just a dirty connection or the daughter seen a chance to run a new laser with the new owner - we didn't keep her on staff as I have a loan to pay off.

The issue is that I dont really need 2 big lasers and would be better off putting the money towards a newer/faster 24x12 or such. I have no clue what the market holds for good used equipment like this as I came from the Tool and Die field. I can tell you the value of a Haas mill and it options but that doesn't help me here!!

Any help/suggestions would be Very helpful. Thank you!

Ross Moshinsky
12-27-2012, 5:35 PM
I'm confused, you said it has a chiller but Epilog uses air cooled tubes. What you're describing sounds like a Chinese machine.

Anyway, a new Epilog Legend 24x36 with an 80W tube is about $30,000. A new tube would probably cost about $3000. You're probably best off changing the tube and possibly the power supply as well. Once you repair it, you should be able to sell it for around 10k give or take. Selling it in it's current condition it might be hard to get more than 5k. It's hard to buy an expensive piece of equipment when you don't know how much it will cost to fix it.

Martin Boekers
12-27-2012, 5:46 PM
someone here recenty was thinking of purchasing a 2006 EXT 36 75 watt for about $17,000 and said it had been run hard.

So they still bring some good bucks.... me that seems high, I would realy consider new before I spent that much. You are pretty close
on pricing new. Epilog used though is worth more than Chinese used. I have 2 EXT 36 75 Watts and I too would go with a smaller bed
and more power for the next one.

Jeff Greer
12-27-2012, 6:11 PM
It is a 2002 Epilog and it has a chiller for the laser tube. Thing works great, dont know if there was really a issue with it or not as it is working great now. The previous owner was not a problem solver with it, but I do not believe there is a reason to replace the power supply and laser tube if it is working fine now and it was "dead" - her terms - before. But I do have a new 36x24 Epilog that was $33,000.00

Mike Null
12-28-2012, 6:36 AM
Epilog has used water cooled tubes as well. I ran two 100 watt Epilogs which were water cooled with chillers.

Mark Ross
12-28-2012, 9:30 AM
I know they don't like when we discuss pricing, but we got our second 36EXT, 75W brand new from Epilog and we definitely did not pay anywhere near MSRP.

Jeff Greer
12-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of it to clear the air.249293249294