PDA

View Full Version : Nameless keyless chuck?

steven c newman
12-27-2012, 3:36 PM
Cleaning up some parts to place on Ebay, and came across an old chuck. Might be 3/8" or larger? Shank is pretty well chewed up. Dad used to have an old breast drill, haven't seen it in years. Maybe this is all that is left?:confused:A look at this thing..249229249230249231:eek: Not a mark of any kind on it, either. I think dad was using it for some of his larger shanked drill bits, that didn't fit in his old 3/8" drill. Trying to find a little more about this "thing".

Bill Houghton
12-27-2012, 3:42 PM
In my experience, it was pretty common for the chuck on an eggbeater/breast drill not to have a maker's name on it. I guess they figured you'd know who made the drill from the maker's name somewhere on the body of the drill. That'd be my first assumption - left over from an eggbeater drill of some kind.

Jim Koepke
12-27-2012, 7:31 PM
That may be from one of the early chucks that was made with a tang to fit in a brace.

The tang may have broken or been sawn off.

jtk

george wilson
12-27-2012, 9:49 PM
IIRC those chucks were sold in the 1950's at hardware stores. They were pretty cheap chucks for general use.

steven c newman
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Just did a few measurements on it. Capacity is 1/2". The chuck's "O.D." is 1-1/4", and the chuck is 1-3/4" long from the screw end to the nose. Three jaws. That shank that is all torn up is about 1/4" o. d. This is a big old chuck..

harry strasil
12-27-2012, 11:10 PM
They were most often used in Blacksmith's Post drills that had a half inch hole with a set screw to hold them in. Mostly they were used for bits smaller than 1/2 inch, as blacksmith bits (those with 1/2" shanks) were more expensive than bits without the 1/2" shank. Those with a 1/2" inch shank are now found only in larger sizes than 1/2" and called Silver and Deming drill bits. I have several in different sizes that I use for extentions in my drill press, rather than moving the table, as my modern Taiwan drill press only has 4.5" of stroke.

FWIW