PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Vase

Glenn Hodges
04-27-2005, 8:58 AM
This mesquite vase came from a piece of wood near Kingsville, Texas. The walls are 1/8 in. thick, the vase is 7 in. tall, and 4 in. wide. It is finished with tung oil solution, and then buffed. The collar is cocobola. Comments are welcomed.

Mark Singer
04-27-2005, 9:09 AM
Glen,

that is another beauty....you have the technique! Beautiful wood as well.

Dan Gill
04-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Beautiful wood, beautiful work. If it were mine, I'd consider making the collar a little larger in diameter, but that's just a personal choice. You have a real talent.

Gary Max
04-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Love that shine you have on this piece.
What kind of boreing system do you us. I have been looking around at them and there are so many different ones?????

Jerry Clark
04-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Wow Glenn, you sure are turning aout some great stuff, nice form and color! Must have a production line set up! :cool: Keep them coming, we love the pictures--:)

Jeff Sudmeier
04-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Glen, that is a great peice! The form and the wood both look perfect. Wondeful job!

John Hart
04-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Beautiful piece Glenn. Looking forward to working with that wood m'self.

Glenn Hodges
04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
I appreciate the nice comments about the piece. Gary for hollowing I use the Stewart Armbrace a lot on this piece. I first bore out the center of the piece using my tailstock, then use my bowl gouges to remove a lot of wood before I use the hollowing tool to get into the tight spots. When people ask me how I do the hollowing I tell them it takes a crooked man with a crooked tool. This usually gets a good laugh.

Michael Stafford
04-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Glenn, one of your best pieces! I love the spalting in the mesquite and I like the form. Your work is always a pleasure to view!!! :)

Martin Shupe
04-27-2005, 1:35 PM
Stunning Glenn, simply stunning!

Jim Ketron
04-27-2005, 4:00 PM
Very Nice Glenn!
Great Form and the wood looks awesome!
keep them comming!

Gary Max
04-27-2005, 5:31 PM
I will remember the crooked story. You had asked about hairline cracks in cedar.
I find that very common in my bowls. But that's all they are is hairlines--they do not grow. I have good luck selling mine-- but there are a few that are 5 years+ old and they look just like the rest. When I start turning next time I am going to set up a DNA system and see what that does.

Ed Scolforo
04-27-2005, 6:25 PM
Glenn: Love the coloring in the wood. The form is very pleasing. Keep kicking it up a notch!

Ed

Ernie Nyvall
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Glenn, Glenn, Glenn... WOW.

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
04-28-2005, 6:40 PM
Glenn, is this out of the mesquite you recently got in Texas... I think that was you. If so, was it green, and if it was green, how did you dry it. I've been wondering if the same "Dave Smith process" can be used on hollow forms.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
04-28-2005, 7:30 PM
Ernie, yes, this mesquite came from the load of mesquite I got near Kingsville, Texas about 3 weeks ago. I did dry it with the Dave Smith DNA. In fact I have started drying the natural edge bowls with DNA, and I have not had the cracks that were plaguing me as in the past. I am drying a 19 inch chestnut oak tonight.

Dennis Peacock
04-28-2005, 7:35 PM
Glenn,

That is OUTSTANDING and beautiful.!!!! :D

Hey....does the inside look as good as the outside? :rolleyes: :p :p :D

Just kidding. Beautiful job and a perfect piece.!!!!