PDA

View Full Version : HVLP sprayer problem

James Vogts
12-27-2012, 2:52 PM
249227249227Guys,

I am spring EM6000 with my Fuji Sprayer. I am getting what look like air bubbles in the finish right after I spray. After the finish has dried it is smoothed out.

Any ideas what is causing this to happen. I have attached a picture so hopefully you can see it.

Todd Burch
12-27-2012, 3:39 PM
What temperature are you spraying in?
What's the temperature of your EM6000?
What's the temperature of the wood?

Todd

John Coloccia
12-27-2012, 3:58 PM
As long as it goes away after it's had a chance to flow out and dry, you're good. EM6000 looks simply awful wen you first spray....terrible orange peel. The water flashes off very quickly, and then the finish flows out nicely, leaving a good surface. Now, your off the gun surface DOES look a bit worse than I'd expect. It almost looks like the gun is spitting. When is the last time you gave that thing a good cleaning? Especially check the needle packing. If that's leaking (damaged or dried out), your gun will spit and it will look terrible.

Something else you may want to try. Thin the finish a bit...add a little water. That Fuji sprays warm air...and it's winter time, so the air in your shop is probably hovering about 20% humidity. You're probably spraying very dry, and that will look like what you're seeing too.

James Vogts
12-28-2012, 6:46 PM
My basement shop is probably 60 degrees or so.

I agree with you John that it looks like it is spitting. After I had shot a couple of coats, it started to look better. My gun must be dirty.

Here is a pic of the top finished. There were probably 3-4 bubbles in the finish, but I am not going to worry about them.

What would be the best solvent to use to give it a real good cleaning? I know that i have Lacquer thinner and DNA here at the house.

Jefferey Scott
12-29-2012, 6:50 PM
James, I use acetone when needed to clean my HVLP gun to get dried water based finish like EM 6000 off of it. It works well for me.

Matt Meiser
12-29-2012, 7:11 PM
I think 60 is way too cold. I warm my shop up to 72 when I spray in the winter. Also, you didn't shake the finish to mix it did you?

For cleaning, I use commercial floor stripper which will attack the fresh WB finishes handily and is something like $12/gal of concentrate which will make something like 100gal. I got it at Lowes in the cleaning products section. Someone else recommended this to me supposedly that recommendation came from Target. Whatever, its been working for him and for me. I occasionally soak the small parts in lacquer thinner and wipe down and flush the gun body with it.

Frederick Rowe
01-01-2013, 6:19 PM
Try cleaning your gun. As others have mentioned, Acetone works well. Get all small orifices clear, thin spring wire works well.

As to temperature, I try to keep my shop above 60 degrees, but the turbine heats the air to the point I don't think the ambient air temp in your shop is the problem.