PDA

View Full Version : Multi Wood Nutcracker

Brad Simmons
12-27-2012, 1:51 PM
This is my third turning project. The first two were pens. In retrospect, this was probably a bit ambitious. It was for the wife for Christmas, and she loved it, so I'm happy.

The helmet, body, arms and boots are walnut. The head and hands are elm. The legs and base are silver maple. I have another with cedar body and arms that didn't get finished by Christmas, but is going to look nice as well. The finish is WTF.

Steve Busey
12-27-2012, 2:29 PM
Nice, Brad! How tall is it? It looks like it's just a statue, not an actual mechanical nutcracker, right?

Brad Simmons
12-27-2012, 4:11 PM
Nice, Brad! How tall is it? It looks like it's just a statue, not an actual mechanical nutcracker, right?

Just over 12". Yes, toy soldier is probably more appropriate. The mechanical part was left out because I thought my wife would like it best sans beard, and I was afraid it would look weird. I was right about her wanting it that way. Besides, who cracks nuts with them anyway?!

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2012, 4:51 PM
Pretty cool idea! Nice job on all the detail work! Looking forward to seeing the cedar version once finished!

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2012, 9:34 PM
Cool piece. Nice detail.