PDA

View Full Version : OT Husqvarna equipment

Ken Garlock
05-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi good people.

I am in the market for a lawnmower to take care of about 1 acre with many young trees and bushes which LOML has been carefully planting. I know that there was a discussion the other week along the same line, and that a ZTR mower was highly recommended.

In my travels around the area, I find that there are lots of people who want to relieve me of my excess capital:) I also remember that a commercial quality ZTR machine costs about 10K:(

Last Sunday I went to Lowes with the idea of looking over their line of Cub Cadets, a machine I had owned back in the mid 70s. The salesman said that if I was going to spend $3K for a Cub, that I should consider the Husqvarna "Swedish mower" or the ZTR. The ZTR looks interesting especially since it is $4K. It has a 17 hp Kohler engine, and hydrostatic drive controlled by two "joy sticks" and cuts a 49" path.

So, my question to you learned people is: Has anyone used/bought a Husqvarna lawn tractor or mower of any type, and how do you like it? IF so, have you had any problems and do recommend it? I know that Husqvarna enjoys an excellent reputation as a maker of chain saws, but does that quality extent into the mowers?

I just cannot see paying $10K for a ZTR when I can get a sub-compact Kubota bx2200 for the same price :(

Many thanks for your comments.:)

Keith Outten
05-06-2003, 2:45 PM
Ken,

Husqvarna makes several different quality lines of equipment as do almost all mower manufacturers. Most of their equipment is very good stuff. I suggest that you look at the Dixie Chopper, they have a 50" model (aprox $4-5,000) that would be an excellent choice for a 1 to 5 acre property and would most likely be the last mower you will ever buy. You could probably do your one acre lot in just minutes as well. The quality of cut is second to none and you can throw away your leaf rake, the Chopper will mulch them up and turn them into dust...then fertilizer.

The Choppers aren't the best looking mowers, they are simply the best mowers, I cut about 9 acres a week with mine this year and did about 16 acres per week last year. Total time for three years of mowing is 190 hours on the meter. Look closely at the Chopper the more you look the more you will be impressed.

Ken Garlock
05-06-2003, 4:38 PM
I hadn't heard of the Dixie Chopper, but I surely will look into it.

Thanks....

BTW, I do like the hat color:)

keith zimmerman
05-06-2003, 6:25 PM
Dixon makes a ZTR that is very good. I mow about 2.5 acres with mine and it does a good job. I can trim within 1" of anything I choose, including trees. I have 70+ trees to trim around and about 2/3 of my time is spent trimming around them.

Good luck on the choice.

keithz

Dixon (http://www.dixon-ztr.com/)

Ken Garlock
05-06-2003, 7:06 PM
I was reading about Dixon ZTRs today. They have a dealer near me, and I will certainly check them out.:)

Dave Crabbs
05-06-2003, 7:48 PM
Ken,
I bought a Husqvarna "Swedish mower" from Lowe's last year. This is a great mower not quite a zero turning radius but at 4" turning diameter it is pretty close. The mower is a 3 blade mulcher that floats (No scalping) It took a little time to get used to the rear steering but, other then that I am pleased with it. Also the mower deck flips up so you can clean or service it.

No affiliation to Lowe's or Husqvarna just a happy customer.
Dave

Ken Garlock
05-06-2003, 8:31 PM
It is good to an evaluation from someone who owns one. (Wasn't that the catch-phrase from the old Packard automobile - as the man who owns one.)

I am glad to hear that you like it. I was primarily looking at the ZTR model for $4K. But, as you see above, I have some other options to consider.

And the beat goes on....

Phil Phelps
05-06-2003, 9:11 PM
Get a push mower and get healthy. Uh, might want to have an emergency alert monitor in this Texas heat. :D
Hey, Husqvarna makes incredible sewing machines.
Ken will chime "Deere"

Ken Garlock
05-06-2003, 9:33 PM
Phil, it is funny that you should mention sewing machines. When I mentioned the Husqvarna mower to the LOML, the first thing she said was that they make good sewing machines.:)

When it comes to buying one of these machines, the more I find out, the more I don't understand everything I know about them:D I may just throw a dart at a list of names and go buy the one the dart hits.:(

Jim Becker
05-06-2003, 9:55 PM
Part of this decision really comes down to "what else do you want or need to do" with your machine investment. I chose a small compact tractor that not only gives me a 60" mid-mount mower deck, but also a front-end loader and some other accessory implements. (My latest also has a small backhoe) These machines are ideal for "estate" type uses when you have 1-5 or 6 acres of proprty. They also last much longer since they are "real" tractors and diesel powered. For about the same price as the "Z" or a little more you can buy one of these machines and have a lot of versatility. Tractorbynet.com is a good reference site if you are interested in learning about these machines...just as this site is great for woodworking!

That being said, the "Z" machines are great if you're focused almost entirely on mowing and will do a better job than any typical garden tractor you can buy at the "big box" store.

Ken Garlock
05-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the input. I have spent many hours searching the net, and visited dealers for Kubota, and Deere. I am impressed with the little Kubota BX2200, but I am reluctant to layout $10K.

I have had recommendations for 2 brands of ZTR, and the Husq. swedish mower with the articulated rear. I am going to look at the Dixon ZTR today, and maybe even the Dixie Chopper which is a good drive into NW Dallas.

I will be deciding within the week, the weeds are getting to high:)

Jim Becker
05-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Ken, consider renting one of the CUTs for a weekend so you get a real user experience with it. Most Kubota dealers can arrange for that and I have no doubt that Deere dealers can effect the same. The BX22 I have now and the BX2200 that I had prior to the upgrade were the best investments I made in this space. The FEL has paid for itself multiple times and actually is what my wife and I use the most for all kinds of landscaping tasks.