PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with NEW Jessem Dowelling Jig?

Phil Thien
12-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Anyone have experience with the NEW Jessem Dowelling Jig? I know many of you have the Jessem Paralign, but I'm talking about this one:

http://www.jessemdirect.com/JessEm_Dowelling_Jig_p/08350.htm

It is less expensive, and references on a line. But the question I sort of have is, can it also reference off edges?

It seems well thought-out, and quick to use, but I'd sure like something I could reference off edges if possible.

In the video showing its use, it sort of looks like the edges of the joints they assemble aren't aligned perfectly. But it is soooo hard to tell in a youtube video.

Also, the NEW unit shows a 3/4" hole to hole spacing, and 5/8" hole to edge spacing. Is the Paralign the same, or is it 3/4" in all measurements?

Any thoughts welcome.

Also, is it doweling or dowelling? My spell checker is happy with either. I had always used a single L, now I'm seeing double L's. Is one more right than the other?

Tony Zaffuto
12-27-2012, 1:09 PM
Is the Paralign still made?

Matt Day
12-27-2012, 2:06 PM
Is the Paralign still made?

I just got one for christmas, so I think so!

Phil Thien
12-27-2012, 4:33 PM
Imagine my thrill upon seeing two responses to my thread.

But they both discussed the other version, LOL.

Oh well, how do you like the Paralign, Matt? Have you had a chance to use it yet?

What is the spacing from the edge to the first dowel hole, is it 3/4" or 5/8"?

Craig Behnke
12-27-2012, 4:35 PM
looking at the video and the pictures, I see there are actually 2 surfaces that are straight,flat, perpendicular to the board's edge that you could use to edge reference from...one would start the dowels close to the edge, the other would start the dowels a bit further away from the edge.

i have the older version, love it. the new one looks interesting in it's own way.

Matt Day
12-27-2012, 6:18 PM
Imagine my thrill upon seeing two responses to my thread.

But they both discussed the other version, LOL.

Oh well, how do you like the Paralign, Matt? Have you had a chance to use it yet?

What is the spacing from the edge to the first dowel hole, is it 3/4" or 5/8"?
Phil,
I haven't used it yet but I did open it up and perused the instructions. Though i havent used it yet, it appers to be an impressive tool - bigger than expected, great machining, and refined. I look forward to using it.

I think the tool is supposed to be used with 3/4" material or bigger, so the closest the first dowel can be is 3/8" to center.

Again, I'm looking forward to putting into action.

Craig Michael
12-27-2012, 10:26 PM
The original is still made. Bill Huber is the go to guy on the original. I have it myself but have not used it as much as Bill. In fact, Bill was my source for info when I was looking to purchase one. As Matt alluded to, it is pretty substantial. When you get one, you are a bit surprised at the weight and how beefy it is. It's not a factor to using it at all but it is not cheaply made. It is solid aluminum and will last a lifetime. As far as use, it's easy to use as most dowel jigs are and it is dead on accurate. Always use the same face as a reference, basic stuff like that.

mreza Salav
12-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I have the bigger (older) model and it's a very good jig. I like some of the features of the new one and it has a very attractive price too. I'm tempted to get this one as it seems faster to use and align the boards using that center opening to align the holes using a dowel already in place. It *appears* to me almost certain that you should be able to get the edges flush by referencing the dowels from the edge of the board. That's how you use the older model and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be the same here (unless the left and right holes in the jig are not precisely the same distance from the edge which is very unlikely).
BTW, they are made in Canada :D

Bill Huber
12-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I am not sure I like the new one over the big one. I have the new one and have never used it, I started to but it just was not what I thought it would be and I don't like having to use a clamp and the other thing is measuring and drawing a line. For me that is 2 areas you can make a mistake in.

I do see that it would be faster and easier when putting in multiple rows

One of the things I really like about the Paralign is you don't have to measure nothing or draw a line just put it on and use it plus the clamp is built right on.

mreza Salav
12-28-2012, 8:53 AM
Bill, can't you simply use it just like the paralign, i.e. reference it from the edge of the jig? (align the edge of the jig with edge of the board)?
Do you really need measuring/drawing a line?

Phil Thien
12-28-2012, 9:05 AM
I am not sure I like the new one over the big one. I have the new one and have never used it, I started to but it just was not what I thought it would be and I don't like having to use a clamp and the other thing is measuring and drawing a line. For me that is 2 areas you can make a mistake in.

I do see that it would be faster and easier when putting in multiple rows

One of the things I really like about the Paralign is you don't have to measure nothing or draw a line just put it on and use it plus the clamp is built right on.

I was looking at the new one because it is $106 with shipping with the 3/8" guides. I got $50 in cash for Christmas and thought about putting it towards one.

I'm sure the Paralign is great but not in my budget.

If you want to sell your NEW Jessem jig please PM me.

Bill Huber
12-28-2012, 9:26 AM
Bill, can't you simply use it just like the paralign, i.e. reference it from the edge of the jig? (align the edge of the jig with edge of the board)?
Do you really need measuring/drawing a line?

Yes you can, the center is 5/8 on the side and the dowels are 3/4 center to center.

As I said I really have not use it, I clamp a board in my vise and hang the Paralign on the board. With the new one you can't do that you have to hold it there and then clamp it. So you are holding it with one hand and then putting the clamp on with the other, it is just not as easy.

Now the price it right and the jig is made like a battleship as all Jessem stuff is and I am sure if you started out using it you would you would like it.

I started out with the DowelMax and then got the Jessem so I am sure that makes a big difference in the way I look at the jig.

Ed Baggett
02-10-2013, 4:51 PM
Recently purchased one (they let get 1/4"). Best doweling jig I have used. (I am not a professional wordworker.)

mreza Salav
02-10-2013, 6:56 PM
I have the paralign (older/bigger Jessem jig) and bought the new one as well. Haven't used it tough (just tried it) and it works fine. One ODD difference I noticed is that the drill bit (and the holes) are slightly different between the two. I noticed this when I couldn't fit the drill bit from the paralign in the holes of the new one. After measuring the two with my caliber I noticed the drill bit of the Paralign version is 0.379-380" (it is a 9.7mm bit) and the new version is 0.372-0.373". The 3/8" dowels I have fit Ok (maybe a bit loose) in the holes of paralign and are very snug in the holes of the new one (cannot take them out by hand). I contacted them and they said that the drill bit of the Paralign was supplied by a supplier and it is in fact metric!!
Anyway, I will probably use the smaller drill bit for both or just find a true 3/8" drill bit to use in both.
One caution for all users of Dowelmax: that too is not a true 3/8" bit/hole, it is designed and supplied with a 9.7mm bit. So using 3/8" dowels with it is technically not the best.

One other note: the main reason I got the new one was the ease of aligning holes in two boards (like panel glue-ups) using the middle slot; that would eliminate the care required to space the dowels exactly the same in the two boards. You gain that but the need to use an external clamp (instead of the on-board clamps like in paralign) makes it a bit cumbersome to work I think.
Again, I'll have to use it in a project to have a good sense of which one is better, but at $99 I thought it's a good deal.

Tony Zaffuto
02-10-2013, 8:03 PM
I have the paralign (older/bigger Jessem jig) and bought the new one as well. Haven't used it tough (just tried it) and it works fine. One ODD difference I noticed is that the drill bit (and the holes) are slightly different between the two. I noticed this when I couldn't fit the drill bit from the paralign in the holes of the new one. After measuring the two with my caliber I noticed the drill bit of the Paralign version is 0.379-380" (it is a 9.7mm bit) and the new version is 0.372-0.373". The 3/8" dowels I have fit Ok (maybe a bit loose) in the holes of paralign and are very snug in the holes of the new one (cannot take them out by hand). I contacted them and they said that the drill bit of the Paralign was supplied by a supplier and it is in fact metric!!
Anyway, I will probably use the smaller drill bit for both or just find a true 3/8" drill bit to use in both.
One caution for all users of Dowelmax: that too is not a true 3/8" bit/hole, it is designed and supplied with a 9.7mm bit. So using 3/8" dowels with it is technically not the best.

One other note: the main reason I got the new one was the ease of aligning holes in two boards (like panel glue-ups) using the middle slot; that would eliminate the care required to space the dowels exactly the same in the two boards. You gain that but the need to use an external clamp (instead of the on-board clamps like in paralign) makes it a bit cumbersome to work I think.
Again, I'll have to use it in a project to have a good sense of which one is better, but at $99 I thought it's a good deal.

So....do you like the new or original Jessem better? Where did you get it for $99?

mreza Salav
02-10-2013, 8:21 PM
So....do you like the new or original Jessem better? Where did you get it for $99?

I am not sure yet as I haven't used the new one in a project but my gut filling is that this will be my go to jig instead of its bigger brother.
I bought it from JessemDirect when they had it for $99 but the following store (in Canada) still sells it at that price.

http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?cl=0&jessem-08350-dowelling-jig-kit&idProduct=16721

They also sell the bigger version for $159 which is a very good deal IMO.

http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?cl=0&jessem-08300-dowel-drilling-jig-08100&idProduct=10793

Don't know if they ship to US or not.

Alex Martinez
01-09-2014, 6:40 PM
Hi All,
Long time lurker, and have benefited from this site so figured I would post the link to lee valley who has a promotional offer for 99.00 currently for this tool. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,180,42311,42319&p=71493
I have no experience with it or any other models, so based on Mr. Huber's feedback about a newcomer probably being ok with this, I went ahead submitted my order today. I'll be sure to post my experience with it.

Phil Thien
01-09-2014, 6:57 PM
Hi All,
Long time lurker, and have benefited from this site so figured I would post the link to lee valley who has a promotional offer for 99.00 currently for this tool. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,180,42311,42319&p=71493
I have no experience with it or any other models, so based on Mr. Huber's feedback about a newcomer probably being ok with this, I went ahead submitted my order today. I'll be sure to post my experience with it.

I've used mine more in the last few months and all I can say is, it is awesome.

I often use the index pins to index off edges of workpieces. It sometimes requires relocating the jig if I need a lot of holes on a wider workpiece, but the perfect fit between the edges of two pieces is worth it.

Let us know what you think of yours!