PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make a Sanding frame for PC 3 X 21 belt sander?

Don Morris
12-27-2012, 4:01 AM
My old work bench needs to be re-surfaced. I don't need it to be like one of those top of the line bench tops or go through one of those router processes using a jig to cris-cross the top or other involved process with handplanes (although I like using handplanes). I used my belt sander when I bought this old bench top 20 yrs ago. I did a reasonable job for me. However, after seeing a DeWalt with a sanding frame, I thought that would improve my result for my PC 3 X 21 belt sander. I wondered if anyone made one for their PC belt sander or came up with a jig to accomplish the same result?

Ole Anderson
12-27-2012, 9:58 AM
Wondering the same yesterday, did a search and came up blank. But I did find that they make an add-on dust collector for my 6" PC ROS, so it was worth it.

michael osadchuk
12-29-2012, 1:53 PM
Based on my understanding of the sanding frame accessory for belt sanders, you would still have to use straightedges, winding sticks and other measuring devices/techniques to identify the low and high spots in the bench as you flatten it.

I believe sanding frame primarily avoid the belt sander making gouges and extend the area of the work piece being used as a reference surface "somewhat"(in the same way that a jointer handplane using a wider reference surface than a hand plane with a shorter sole).

It would be interesting to hear from someone who used an belt sander with sanding frame to flatten a wider panel/tabletop.

good luck

michael

Jim Foster
12-29-2012, 2:52 PM
I'm not sure what your thoughts are about hand-planing a bench flat, but it's a lot less daunting and time consuming than it appears. When I made my bench, I belt sanded the bottom before it was assembled and then hand planed the top after assembly. Hand planing took about 2 hours and worked a lot better. Belt sanding probably took almost as long or as long. The only hand plane I used was a #8, if a had a jack plane and was capable with it, I think it would have taken me an hour less. My bench is construction fir, has lots of knots and reversing grain.

Don Morris
12-30-2012, 5:20 AM
My bench is hard maple and has no knots. I do have a LN #7 and a jack plane. I don't know if you could consider me "capable" but I enjoy using them on occasion. I've looked at a video a of "capable" woodworker using handplanes to resurface his bench and it took a lot of work. Looked fabulous when done, but this old bench isn't worth that effort. It's got too many dings and small pits to go through that much effort. But again, for me, I've never found that I needed that flat of a surface. If I wanted or needed one, I could always relatively quickly put a Baltic Birch board or something on top of it to achieve what was needed. I guess it's "bring out the 3 X 21 again and put my 36" level on it and as I go down the length of the bench, just flatten and refresh as best as I can. Shouldn't take too long. Just thought it would be an easier/better result with a sanding frame. Like my PC but sort of makes you wish you had a friend close by who had a DeWalt...