PDA

View Full Version : American Chestnut rough out (Thanks Sparky)

Bill Bukovec
12-26-2012, 8:46 PM
I finally got some turning time today.

Here is a rough out of an American Chestnut blank I got from Sparky in Northeast Tennessee.

It's about 11" diameter, 5" tall, just over 5 pounds.

This is the first time I've seen chestnut.

This will end up being one of the bowls my wife will allow in the house. ;)

Bill

Eric Gourieux
12-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Bill, that rough out looks really good. How did you like that chestnut? It's heavy stuff and turns your tools black! Sparky and I traded some blanks when I visited him a few weeks ago, and I've got one roughed out. Great figure in the chestnut, too.

Bob Rotche
12-27-2012, 7:33 AM
Looks good! My experience with this wood is that it has a tendency to split while drying. Would use all the usual tricks to slow the process. Good luck!

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2012, 7:36 AM
Looks like it is going to be a beauty! Looking forward to seeing it once finished! Good luck with the drying process!

Sparky Paessler
12-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Your Welcome Bill! Looks great. I will also say watch out for cracking. I have ankorsealed the outside of the three that I have roughed out and not had any problems. I plan on finish turning the first one tonight. will post pictures of how it comes out.

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Great looking rough out. Bet it is going to be a beauty finished.

Bill Bukovec
12-27-2012, 5:28 PM
Bill, that rough out looks really good. How did you like that chestnut? It's heavy stuff and turns your tools black! Sparky and I traded some blanks when I visited him a few weeks ago, and I've got one roughed out. Great figure in the chestnut, too.

Hi Eric,

I really enjoyed turning the chestnut. I did notice that the blank and my hands had some blackness when I was done.

I would say the chestnut was easier to turn than red or white oak. We have a lot of oak in my area and it really tests my patience.

Thomas Canfield
12-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice looking wood and bowl. Your photo background makes me glad to be down here even though we were down in the 20 F area the last couple of nights. I hope you have a warm shop and are just avoiding all the shavings that most of us have.