PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Vase

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2012, 1:47 PM
This Maple burl vase was roughed out back in August – see this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?190340-Maple-Burl-Vase-Rough-Out&highlight=) – and I finally found time to finish it! :D

Final dimensions are: 13 ½” high x 8 ¾” diameter x 3/16” thick, except at the very bottom which is slightly thicker to provide ballast. The vase was given multiple coats of wipe-on poly and then rubbed back to a matte finish using 0000 steel wool. It was given a few coats of Renaissance wax to give it a slight sheen and soft feel.

249145 249146 249147 249148
249149 249150 249151 249152

As always, your opinions, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Roger Chandler
12-26-2012, 2:02 PM
Wow......a lot going on with that piece of wood! Different form for you Steve......a little angular shoulder and neck with a rounded bottom.......interesting combination. Glad it held together for you......did you have to wrap it while hollowing?

John Keeton
12-26-2012, 2:46 PM
Steve, I have enjoyed all of the larger pieces you have been doing lately, but this is one of the best! Fantastic chunk of wood, and the extreme combination of heavy curvature and sharp shoulder, combined with the character of the wood, really make this one special.

Greg Ketell
12-26-2012, 2:58 PM
Steve, that is really pretty. But I think you need to put quotes around the word "vase". :D

Allan Ferguson
12-26-2012, 3:04 PM
It is a winner. Pretty wood and good form.

paul vechart
12-26-2012, 3:13 PM
As always Steve a very exceptional piece! I also like your combination of curves and sharp edge.

Paul

Marc Himes
12-26-2012, 5:55 PM
Beautifully done Steve. Wonderful form and a wonderful piece of wood. I am glad to see you are getting some time on your lathe. Happy Holidays neighbor.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-26-2012, 6:13 PM
13" & growing !! Great seeing these turnings getting bigger. Over all I like it, however the bottom does seem a little to rounded for this piece. Just a little nit pick but I felt worth noting.

Eric Gourieux
12-26-2012, 6:16 PM
Steve,
I agree with others. This is one of your best. Great piece of wood and you did great with the finish.

jwjerry w kowalski
12-26-2012, 6:29 PM
Steve,

Beautiful wood and as always your work is exceptional.

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2012, 6:44 PM
Steve that is a beautiful piece and wood. I love the form and finish.

Harry Robinette
12-26-2012, 7:07 PM
Steve
You did good the wood is a knock-out,I like the form but there's something about it that's just thrown my eye.I'm going to have to think about this one. I really like the bottom but the transition to the shoulder is were my eye just stops.I know it's just me hope you understand.

Michelle Rich
12-27-2012, 4:44 AM
I commented on Wow, but seeing it here with all sides, I like it even more. Adore this

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2012, 7:34 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment - I appreciate it!

I realize that this form may not work for everyone as it combines curves that are not normally used together on the same piece. Sometimes the experiment works... sometimes it doesn't - it is up to the individual viewer to make that decision for themselves.

Roger - I did nothing extraordinary to hollow this wood. It had a lot of cracks - some of which were very large - but it felt stable and I was not aggressive while hollowing.

Thanks again everyone!

Curt Fuller
12-27-2012, 9:36 AM
Wow, what a beauty Steve! I like seeing it from all sides too. The first photo, second row is nice showing even some beautiful character in the wood besides burl. Is this part of the "Rustic" series?

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2012, 9:39 AM
Glad you like it Curt! This particular piece is not part of the primitive series - it's just too fancy of a wood! The primitive series was all about basic form with just minimal finish and sweeping curves. It was fun to do but now I have to move on to something else just for a change of pace. Well, that and all my green wood is frozen into one huge block out in back of the shed!!

Mike Cruz
12-27-2012, 9:58 AM
Steve, that's a winner! Regardless of typical curves or whatever, it works and works well.

It is times like this that I wish I could see a pic of the blank before you turned it. Yeah, we all know what a burl looks like. But the orientation of how you had it mounted, and what caused those inclusions in the other side is what I'd love to have seen. Maybe next time...unless you are holding before pics out on us. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Mike - got to my opening post and there is a link to the thread when I roughed out this piece. The photos on orientation are there.

Mike Cruz
12-27-2012, 5:21 PM
Duh! Don't know how I missed that. I "thought" I read your entire OP...guess not thoroughly enough. Thanks for posting (and pointing out) that link.

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2012, 6:01 PM
Not a problem Mike ... I know you are a busy guy!! :D

mike ash
12-27-2012, 7:31 PM
Ya' done good Steve. Nice shape/wood/photography. Winner all the way around.

Kathy Marshall
12-27-2012, 8:58 PM
Very nice Steve! Cool looking wood with lots of character and I like the form. Experimenting is fun and it's nice to see a form that breaks the rules now and then.

Rich Aldrich
12-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice work, Steve. I really like the wood and the form.

Robert Henrickson
12-28-2012, 9:45 AM
I realize that this form may not work for everyone as it combines curves that are not normally used together on the same piece. Sometimes the experiment works... sometimes it doesn't - it is up to the individual viewer to make that decision for themselves.

Great display of the wood grain, and nice form. In my archaeological career, I've handled a lot of vessels with this form which is characteristic of the Uruk culture in the Near East ca 3500-3000 BC and continues into the Early Dynastic to ca 2600 BC.

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2012, 9:53 AM
Thanks Bob - I was hoping you would chime in with some info to identify the form! I did some searches on Persian form but was unsuccessful in finding anything similar. I will check into the Uruk culture.

charlie knighton
12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
very nice Steve, love the form...great wood