PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounted radio/stereo

BOB OLINGER
12-26-2012, 8:59 AM
I'm just started remodeling one of our bathrooms. I'd like to install a wall mounted radio with a ceiling speaker. Can anyone suggest a source(s) for this. I'm not looking for an elaborate system; just like to listen to the radio early in the morning while in the bathroom.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2012, 9:44 AM
I don't know about wall mounted radios but I bought ceiling speakers from PartsExpress.com (at a quick glance I don't see any wall mounted radios there.) I used their Dayton house brand. For the master bath I bought a dual channel speaker and it sounds fine for a ceiling mounted speaker which is a compromise anyway. My only regret is not mounting a second over the shower area--to hear anything other than background music over the shower you have to crank it up pretty loud due to the fact that our shower area is probably technically considered another room. I also bought an Audio Source whole-house amplifier from them which would certainly be overkill for a single room but they also offer other options. Our home theater receiver has a "Zone 2" output which feeds the whole-house amp.

Rich Riddle
12-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I see a few small issues with what you want to accomplish. You might want to clarify your ultimate goal for the best advice.

1. With the parameters you want, most small wall mounted radios lack sufficient power to amplify an external speaker in the ceiling.
2. Bathroom ceilings get extremely moist and that's not the best thing for speakers to encounter.
3. You didn't indicate if you want a radio mounted into the wall or on the wall. Radios mounted into the wall tend to look dated fairly quickly, but many have superior components to those mounted on the wall. They also cost more. The advantage of an on-wall radio is easy of replacement when, not if, it breaks. In-wall radios will also break but then you have to fix them or try to find one with a similar size hole.

Here is an on-wall radio that has an i-dock. The speaker is part of the radio.

http://sclick.net/new-gadgets-2/latest-coolest-gadgets-wall-mounted-iphone-dock-daily-gadgets-and-consumer-electronics-reviews.html

Here is a small inside the wall radio. Again the speaker is part of the unit:

http://www.gira.com/en/produkte/unterputz-radio.html

If you want an external speaker, these won't work. You will also need to find a speaker rated for outdoor use if you plan to use it in a bathroom setting.

BOB OLINGER
12-26-2012, 12:46 PM
I see a few small issues with what you want to accomplish. You might want to clarify your ultimate goal for the best advice.

1. With the parameters you want, most small wall mounted radios lack sufficient power to amplify an external speaker in the ceiling.
2. Bathroom ceilings get extremely moist and that's not the best thing for speakers to encounter.
3. You didn't indicate if you want a radio mounted into the wall or on the wall. Radios mounted into the wall tend to look dated fairly quickly, but many have superior components to those mounted on the wall. They also cost more. The advantage of an on-wall radio is easy of replacement when, not if, it breaks. In-wall radios will also break but then you have to fix them or try to find one with a similar size hole.

Here is an on-wall radio that has an i-dock. The speaker is part of the radio.

http://sclick.net/new-gadgets-2/latest-coolest-gadgets-wall-mounted-iphone-dock-daily-gadgets-and-consumer-electronics-reviews.html

Here is a small inside the wall radio. Again the speaker is part of the unit:

http://www.gira.com/en/produkte/unterputz-radio.html

If you want an external speaker, these won't work. You will also need to find a speaker rated for outdoor use if you plan to use it in a bathroom setting.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info. Your second suggestion looks very interesting; I will check this one out. As for clarification, I just want to listen to the radio while in the bathroom in early morning. I currently have an old clock radio plugged in, setting on a shelf. Since I'm remodeling the bathroom, I thought of getting something that would mount out of the way.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2012, 1:25 PM
Not knowing your bathroom layout and construction, what about doing some kind of niche shelf recessed in the wall with a receptacle mounted inside for neatness?

Rich Riddle
12-26-2012, 2:20 PM
Not knowing your bathroom layout and construction, what about doing some kind of niche shelf recessed in the wall with a receptacle mounted inside for neatness?

I think this suggestion proves the best of all worlds to be honest. He could then have a wire going to the ceiling speaker next to the power outlet. Many external speakers exist and a unit that would fit on a niche shelf would provide more than enough drive for the speaker.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2012, 2:22 PM
Never even thought of that. Parts Express also has nice wall plates with speaker terminals I used elsewhere in my house.

The speaker I used was moisture resistant: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-412

We've had it in there a couple years. Granted that part of the bathroom isn't as humid as the part where the shower is--the other part has the exhaust fan and while there's no door, the humid air tends not to spill through the archway since it rises to the ceiling.

David G Baker
12-26-2012, 3:40 PM
I wired my home in California for sound. The source was a Pioneer receiver with a remote that I could select where I wanted sound to go and where the sound came from. I had speakers in every room in the house. This was much better quality sound than would come from an inexpensive radio mounted on a wall in the bathroom. They do make shower radios but the reception isn't great and the sound is not much good either.

Myk Rian
12-26-2012, 4:22 PM
Put a clock-radio on the bath counter.

Rick Potter
12-27-2012, 3:00 AM
Just a reminder, make sure it is plugged into a GFI:eek:.

Rick Potter

Matt Meiser
12-27-2012, 8:32 AM
+1, but if you have a non-GFCI within reach of the counter, that's a bigger issue!