PDA

View Full Version : Need Univesal laser advice

Stan Lightner
12-26-2012, 8:33 AM
I'm working on a project to cut patches from 70/30 cotton/poly cloth in a relatively high volume application. We're currently die cutting the patches and want to increase our output and quality. I have previous experience using a Universal Laser machine similar to the PLS6.150D and was quite pleased with the reliability and efficiency of the equipment. This was however in an academic setting so throughput was not a high priority.

I'm considering a ILS12.75 http://www.ulsinc.com/products/ils1275/ as it has the pass through feature that would allow us to mount a feed roller and a take up roller on the machine. We could then cut the fabric and allow it to drop down on a conveyor belt to automatically extract it from the laser so we could then send them to the next step in the process.

We would also utilize the available vision system to align the cutting operation with registration marks applied in a previous operation.

The idea seems to be fairly bullet proof, but I would like updated feedback on ULS systems as its been around 6 or 7 years since I last used their equipment.

BTW, the patches will mostly be 2X4 inches or 1.5X3.5 with 3/8" radius corners.

What have been your experiences using the equipment? Good? Bad? Ugly?

How about support? Replacement lenses, etc. I experienced less than stellar behavior from the ULS distributor out of Denver and ended up buying consumables direct from ULS. Anybody else have issues with their rep?

Anyone have experience with the pass through machines?

Anyone have experience with the vision system?

Do you know of any other brand with similar available features?

Any & all info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stan

Rodne Gold
12-26-2012, 9:05 AM
Do you know of any other brand with similar available features

My shenui machines actually have a facility for feeding for a roll to roll system and have the ability to integrate an optical registration system.
Check this out:
http://shenhui.en.alibaba.com/product/470913153-212090222/China_CCD_high_precision_camera_SH_G960_Laser_cutt ing_machine_for_Label_agent_wanted_.html
adding a roll to roll system is easy as the laser has commands and the ability to send a feed signal to it and is pass thru.

Scott Shepherd
12-26-2012, 10:38 AM
There is no change in your experience with Universal from them until now. Their machines are well built and they are VERY dependable. One thing I can always count on is turning on my Universal, having it fire up and complete the job.

Their support is very good, you'll have parts the next day if you have any issues.

Paul Phillips
12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Stan, I have a PLS6.150D, it's about 3 years old now we use it daily and I have been very happy with it. I think in general the sales reps are not always reliable when it comes to service and support so dealing directly with the manufacturer is usually best. I did have some problems about a year ago that involved a lot of trouble shooting, replacing parts to finally fix it but the Universal techs were very good at getting the problem solved quickly and with minimal cost and down time, for me personally it's worth the extra cost to have a machine that works as it should when you get it and if there is a problem it's quickly and easily fixed by the manufacturer.
Hope this helps.
Paul

Doug Griffith
12-26-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm considering a ILS12.75 http://www.ulsinc.com/products/ils1275/ as it has the pass through feature that would allow us to mount a feed roller and a take up roller on the machine. We could then cut the fabric and allow it to drop down on a conveyor belt to automatically extract it from the laser so we could then send them to the next step in the process.

Fabric likes to flare up and a good exhaust helps prevent that. So relying on gravity to drop the cut pieces may pose the problem of it getting sucked through the exhaust system.

Also, as it drops, it may fall in the path of the laser. This would not be good.

You may want to use a perforated conveyor belt (ie. stainless steel mesh) where the exhaust holds the fabric down through the laser cutting process (using a custom manifold). Then drop the pieces once outside of the machine.

Doug Griffith
12-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Unless the swatches are registered to the design, you probably don't need a vision system. Set up the conveyer system to increment the fabric the required amount. Then install a hall sensor in the laser that tells the conveyor to increment each time the laser head passes an X,Y coordinate. Then put the X,Y coordinate in the vector cut file, after cutting and just before 0,0. It would not be difficult.

You'll need to put the x,y in a position that is not in the path of cutting or rapid transverse.

Ken Davis
12-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Bought my first ULS laser about 10 years ago, used on ebay. Since then I have bought 2 more. I've only needed service on the used one and it was stellar.

James A. Wolfe
12-28-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm working on a project to cut patches from 70/30 cotton/poly cloth in a relatively high volume application. n

What kind of volume are you talking about? Tens or low hundreds might be feasible but if you're talking thousands then you should think about die cutting. There's equipment available from a couple of grand to yowzer depending on your volumes.

Jim

Stan Lightner
12-28-2012, 8:43 AM
You may want to use a perforated conveyor belt (ie. stainless steel mesh) where the exhaust holds the fabric down through the laser cutting process (using a custom manifold). Then drop the pieces once outside of the machine.

I like this idea. Thanks.

Stan Lightner
12-28-2012, 8:47 AM
What kind of volume are you talking about? Tens or low hundreds might be feasible but if you're talking thousands then you should think about die cutting. There's equipment available from a couple of grand to yowzer depending on your volumes.

Jim

Thousands it is. We're currently die cutting and it is not satisfactory. Even if it takes more time per emblem to cut with a laser we believe the continuous processing will be quicker than the current (die cutting) process. We're also looking at quality issues from the die cutting which the laser cutting should solve.