PDA

View Full Version : First Large Bowl

Michael Dromey
12-25-2012, 10:29 PM
I want to thank Scott Hackler for helping me turn this bowl. This was a gift for LOML. She does really like it. It is about 13 1/2" x 3 1/2". It is nice and heavy. I wanted something she could use as a centerpiece. I wanted a turning refresher after not turning for quite a while.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Nice work! Good form and nicely finished.

Nate Davey
12-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Nice, what's not to like. Beautiful bowl and very nice rim treatment!

Kathy Marshall
12-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Very nice bowl Michael and ditto on the rim treatment. I can see why she likes it! Kudos to Scott for giving you a hand to get back in the swing of things.

Mike Cruz
12-25-2012, 11:00 PM
HA! What a great way divert... If everyone loves it, you get credit for a fantastic bowl. If they don't, Scott takes the hit!!! I like the way you're thinkin', Michael.

I do, however have to say that A) My favorite wood, how can you go wrong B) Fantastic job sanding it down C) Gorgeous finish (what did you use?) D) Neat rim detail (that obviously took some time).

Leo Van Der Loo
12-25-2012, 11:03 PM
I Second Kathy's thoughts,............... "Very nice bowl Michael and ditto on the rim treatment. I can see why she likes it! Kudos to Scott for giving you a hand to get back in the swing of things."

Greg Just
12-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Beautiful bowl - nice job with the rim treatment

Dave Fritz
12-26-2012, 8:58 AM
That is nice!!! Everything about it is outstanding. I can't let my wife see it.

Dave F.

Prashun Patel
12-26-2012, 9:15 AM
Great bowl. Great finish. Great rim.
I've never tried that treatment. Novice question: how do you do that?

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2012, 10:33 AM
That is a beauty. Reall nice rim treatment. Kudo's to Scott.

Grant Wilkinson
12-26-2012, 6:05 PM
It's a beautiful piece, Michael. Would you mind passing along a hint or two on how you did the rim treatment?

Harry Robinette
12-26-2012, 7:15 PM
That's a really beautiful piece the form with the burnt ring rim really makes this piece look elegant. Excellent turning and finish by the way what is the finish.

Steve Mawson
12-26-2012, 8:05 PM
Can't add much to what everyone else has been saying, just would have to agree. Know that Scott would be a big help as well, he does very nice work.

Michael Dromey
12-26-2012, 9:16 PM
The rim was done with my woodburner tip. Each spot is a dot from my woodburner. The rim took several hours. The finish is shelac, then a thin coat of satin wipe on poly, then 4 thin layers of gloss wipe on poly, then a final layer of satin wipe on poly. Then the suface is buffed out. I had read that using gloss poly under satin poly would give it depth. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I also used 0000 steel wool between coats of course.

Mike Cruz
12-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, it is certainly a fantastic finish in my book...

Michael, yes, if you are using Poly and don't want that ultra shine (actually, works with laquer, too...and I imagine anything else for that matter), you should use gloss until your last coat. That way you don't end up with (in your case) 5 coats of satin finish that just blur the wood. One final coat of satin just takes the shine off... Fantastic job!

Steve Vaughan
12-27-2012, 8:55 AM
Nice! The wood and color, along with your rim treatment is awesome! It all just fits so well together!

Scott Hackler
12-27-2012, 12:35 PM
When Mike turned this bowl, he had seen various examples of bowls with a pyro'd edge from my stack o stuff and said that he wanted to do something like that on this bowl. Off he went, home, and a few weeks later returned to Beal buff the end result. I must say that I wouldn't have thought to "dot" the pattern in the groove we made, but the end result looks very nice. I know Mike is proud of this one and he should be. :)