PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Platters

Dave Bell
12-25-2012, 8:16 PM
I just finished these today in time for my better half's family Christmas tomorrow.

Both are figured maple and measure @ 14 1/2" in diameter and are @ 2 3/4" deep.

The first platter has had the rim dyed to represent a rainbow effect. This was a request that my sister-in-law (sister-by-law....) made last year after seeing a similar platter that my wife received. She has no idea that I actually followed though on this.http://penturnersparadise.ca/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

The second platter is for my other sister-in-law......if give one sister something....you better have another gift ready for the other one. This platter was a fun project and I refrained from casting alumilite into it's void. I took a step on the wild side and used West System Epoxy and some PearlEx pigment. No pressure pot for this one, but I did have to make up a second resin mix to fix a few air bubbles I found during turning.http://penturnersparadise.ca/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

C&C Welcomed

Dave

Sister-by-Law's Platter

249268 249263

Sister-in-Law's Platter

249264 249265 249266 249267

ray hampton
12-25-2012, 8:23 PM
very nice bowls both "sister -laws

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 8:23 PM
Very nice, Dave! Nice use of color on both, and that wood has a lot going on with the grain.......no doubt your sisters will go ga ga!

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2012, 8:25 PM
Really nice looking bowls. They will be well received.

Eric Gourieux
12-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Those are really nice. Well finished, too. I'm sure they will love them.

Greg Ketell
12-26-2012, 1:01 AM
I really love the first one! That is awesome!
GK

Marc Himes
12-26-2012, 5:03 AM
I really like them both. How did you apply the dye for the rainbow effect? It worked out very well. I like the brilliant blue in the epoxy too.

Dave Bell
12-26-2012, 8:50 AM
Thanks for the comments.

I applied the 3 basic colours of Blue, Yellow and Red with a paper towel swab. Each colour has to be over lapped to give you the two additional colours of orange and green. The next step is to wash the colours together with either alcohol of methyl hydrate by applying it directly to the wood in the form of a mist spray. This is the hard part and takes some practice. Jimmy Clewes used this technique when he demonstrated at our guild over a year ago, but he only did a single colour. He did talk about doing this multi-colour technique. I have also used this technique on pens with curly maple as the body of the pen blank.

Dave