PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Pin

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 2:59 PM
I had my mother in law's hairdresser ask for a rolling pin.......never made one before, but told her that I could do that! ;) :D This was done today.......we did the Christmas dinner and gifts last evening on Christmas eve, so that allowed me some time to get into the shop on Christmas day! :)

This is hard maple and she wanted a short version, not too long, so this one has 8 inches on the roller, and 2-3/4" on the handles.......unfinished and sanded to 500 grit.......smooth! I turned this on my Delta midi 46-460......the more I use it the more I like it!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is more than just for use in the kitchen..........it might be a husband management tool! :eek:

Russell Eaton
12-25-2012, 4:15 PM
Well done Roger! Those little Delta lathes are the trick!

Lee Koepke
12-25-2012, 6:10 PM
Nice. I have done a few....I glue up "waste" strips from my cutting boards. When I finally get enough, I make it round...

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 7:05 PM
Nice. I have done a few....I glue up "waste" strips from my cutting boards. When I finally get enough, I make it round...

I have a blank like that Lee.......thought about using it, but I am saving it for a peppermill at some point. The blank I have is maple, walnut, cherry, oak, and something else cut on a diagonal......it would have made a nice rolling pin for sure.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 8:03 PM
Question.......my mother's rolling pin was unfinished........do they put a finish on rolling pins now? I know it would need to be food safe and I have some Behlen's salad bowl finish and some danish oil and antique oil......I would think that with rolling out something with flour such as biscuits and tortilla shells, like this lady is going to do, that an unfinished hard maple would be what I want..........:confused:

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Lee Koepke
12-25-2012, 8:16 PM
If you want the grain to stand out a bit, you can use mineral oil. Its food safe and its what I use on my cutting boards. Maple is one of the preferred woods for cooking utensil type uses, it doesnt impart a 'taste' in the prepared foods. Sycamore is also an excellent choice.

There is no reason to apply a finish (in my opinion) unless you'd like to expose the beauty of the wood before it gets used.

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2012, 8:26 PM
Well done Roger. Looking good.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 8:33 PM
Well done Roger. Looking good.

Thanks Bernie......appreciated!