PDA

View Full Version : What do people recommend for portable belt sanders these days?

Alan Lightstone
12-25-2012, 2:34 PM
4x24? 3x21? Advantages/Disadvantages to each?

Porter Cable? Ryobi? Bosch? None of the above? Does Festool have a dog in the fight?

Will not be using it frequently.

Thanks.

Terry Beadle
12-25-2012, 2:47 PM
Porter Cable has many satisfied. I use an old Craftsman that I've had for over 20 years. Still works great but noisy as all get out.

I use hand planes for most of that stuff but a belt sander can some times be just the right tool, like for stubborn end grain cutting boards in certain grain spots.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim Becker
12-25-2012, 2:57 PM
While it rarely ever gets used, I have a Bosch that works nicely. Light in weight; easy to use; has a dust port that I was able to jury-rig to attach to my Festool CT extractor to deal with that need.

Mike Henderson
12-25-2012, 3:53 PM
I have an older Makita but I rarely ever use it. It works okay.

Mike

Cary Falk
12-25-2012, 4:32 PM
I have the Makita 3x18 and and 4x24. The big one is good for hogging off lots of wood but it is heavy if you have to hold it to sand over your head or vertically. The small one is great for those places where the 4x24 is too big and heavy. Both are great because they have a flat top so you can lay them on a bench upside down and do some freehand sanding if needed.
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9910-3-Inch-18-Inch-Sander/dp/B00004YOIG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356470901&sr=8-2&keywords=makita+9910x+3x18+belt+sander
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9404-8-8-Amp-24-Inch-Variable/dp/B000056NOA

Sam Murdoch
12-25-2012, 10:25 PM
For a truly portable belt sander I use this - http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2020082/36023/PORTERCABLE-COMPACT-BELT-SANDER-MODEL-371.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CLr8l76Nt7QCFUid4AodAyIAUw It is an excellent small belt sander that can easily be hooked up to a Vac system (Festool or Porter Cable or Fein etc.), held with one hand, and using Norton belts. It is an excellent scribe tool. HOWEVER, I otherwise never use a belt sander since owning a Festool RO125 . The RO 150 could be even more of a power house with the bigger disc. The point is that the Festool ROs are sanders that have the grinding ability of a belt sander with the finishing ability of finish sanders (with qualifiers) and much more control than with any belt sander with none of the weight, noise, dust collection or tracking issues. Other than the little Porter Cable I no longer use my 3" belt sanders. Have 2 for sale if anyone cares.

Brian Ross
12-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I have a 3 x24 Makita that I have had for years. My thoughts are that the longer the belt gives a longer platen which gives you a better opportunity to get a flatter finish if that is what you are after.I don't have any loyalty to any particular brand but would buy another makita in a heart beat.

Brian

steven c newman
12-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Been having a lot of luck with a B&D Dragster model, 3" x 21" sander. What sets it apart from others? That front end. The way real dragsters have a small front wheel, so does this on. I can even clamp it by it's movable/lockable "D" handle in to my bench vise. And @ ~ $40 one can afford any type of sanding belt they want.249078 kind of upside down, but you get the idea. got this one when they first came out. no problems yet.

Will Rowland
12-25-2012, 11:49 PM
I too rarely ever use mine (PC 360 3x24) since getting a Festool RO150. My belt sander is the one tool in the shop that could disappear, and i probably wouldn't notice.

That said, were I to buy one today, I'd get one that is designed to have the ability to be mounted upside down. I wouldnt recommemd mine for that reason, plus it just literally screams when operating.

Peter Kelly
12-26-2012, 7:07 AM
If you check the classified section at woodcentral dot com, someone is selling a Makita 9903 belt sander for $175. Looks like a decent deal. Seller says the sander has about 15 min total use on it.

Festool does make a belt sander but it isn't available in North America. http://www.festool.de/Produkte/Seiten/Produktvergleich.aspx?foc=ol_bandschleifer_1611

Joe Kieve
12-26-2012, 7:46 AM
I still use my old Rockwell 503 "locomotive" from time to time. Bought it in a pawn shop for $85 several years ago and it does what I need it to do. Very heavy duty....and very heavy too! Wears my back out if I use it for very long though.

Curt Harms
12-26-2012, 8:00 AM
I have the baby Porter Cable and yes, the dust collection works quite well when connected to a good vac. I've never used a belt sander in a frame or had the need but always wondered about it. Is it significantly better for flattening a surface than a belt sander without a frame? Here is an example:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/use-a-belt-sander-frame.aspx

Ole Anderson
12-26-2012, 9:08 AM
3x21 PC. Had a 4x24 PC, but the 3x21 just worked better. Had it for 20 years now. The 3x21 saw some serious production work while "brushing" aluminum tubing while spinning it. Probably 25,000 feet of 1.5" to 2.5" heavy wall aluminum. Changed brushes a few times and one set of bearings. When it comes to hogging off wood it can't be beat.

Bill Huber
12-26-2012, 9:55 AM
I have a Ridgid R2720 and it is a horse of a sander, I have used it about 3 times. It will eat a board in noting flat, the dust collection is not very good on it even with the shop vac attached.
I also have a baby PC (371) which I use on cutting boards and it works very well for that. It does very well with the shop vac on collecting the dust, it will get somewhat hot if used a lot.

Frank Drew
12-26-2012, 10:10 AM
A sanding frame can turn a portable belt sander into something approaching a precision tool, and virtually eliminates the possibility of a dig-in. Can't recommend them highly enough although they're not available for all machines. It would be my have-to-have accessory if I bought another one of these sanders.

Harry Hagan
12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I have a few belt sanders but this is my favorite. It's light weight, variable speed and can be turned upside-down on the flat top for use as a stationary sander—my favorite feature. Unfortunately it’s not available anymore.

Alan Bienlein
12-26-2012, 10:55 AM
4x24? 3x21? Advantages/Disadvantages to each?

Porter Cable? Ryobi? Bosch? None of the above? Does Festool have a dog in the fight?

Will not be using it frequently.

Thanks.

What specifically do you want one for?

I have a makita 3 x 21, porter cable 3 x 21 and a porter cable 4 x 24.

I have used the even smaller porter cable 2-1/2 x 14 belt sander and consider it way under powered and junk.

If I want to flatten a panel that's to wide for my planner after glue up I'll grab my 4 x 24 and a 60 or 80 grit belt to start.

If I'm wanting to scribe a filler or something like that I'll grab my pc 3 x 21.

The makita for some reason came with a 4" wide platen for a 3" belt. Now I have had this sander for about 20+ years so things could have changed by now.

For some reason belt sanders get a bad rap but I guess it comes from not knowing how to properly use one.

Scott T Smith
12-26-2012, 11:11 AM
I too rarely ever use mine (PC 360 3x24) since getting a Festool RO150. My belt sander is the one tool in the shop that could disappear, and i probably wouldn't notice.

+1. I have not used my PC 4 x 24 since I discovered that my Festool RO150 would out-sand it. Not to mention the superior dust control and the fact that I have more versatility with the Festool.

Jim Andrew
12-26-2012, 8:09 PM
My Makita 4 x 24 had a dust bag, and found that the small dust hose I use with the ros fits in the bag opening. Kind of a pain to deal with a cord and a hose, but gets the dust. I have found Makita tools to be very tough and long lasting. But, could not get rid of the turkey tracks in my panels, so went to a small widebelt sander.

Alan Lightstone
12-27-2012, 9:18 AM
It looks like Bosch has discontinued its portable drum sander, as has Dewalt. Not sure if new versions are coming out.

Patrick Grady
12-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a little plastic 3 X18 Skill that is fine for quick light work and the belt tracks ok and it has lasted over fifteen years. But my workhorse is an older heavy Craftsman 3 X 21 which is built like a battleship and has survived boat decks, fiberglass, floor work and various abuses over many years. The belt tracks really well and I like the heavy feel and centrally balanced grips. If I purchased a new sander I would want to hold it (if not use it) to ensure a comfortable feel for a strong hold and fine control. A versatile vacuum attach is sometimes a necessity in situations like a boat yard where you must have an efficient portable vacuum hookup or they'll give you the 'heave-ho'.

Brian Brightwell
12-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I have the four inch Bosch sander. It has seen little use but quit working one day. So, I sent it off to Bosch repair station. They responded with the armature is bad and one is no longer available and returned it to me. Later I was telling a friend who works at a cabinet shop and he offered to have his Bosch representative look at it. The rep. said that's not very old and got a new armature for me which I installed.
I try to buy Milwaukee from now on.

ken masoumi
12-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Been having a lot of luck with a B&D Dragster model, 3" x 21" sander. What sets it apart from others? That front end. The way real dragsters have a small front wheel, so does this on. I can even clamp it by it's movable/lockable "D" handle in to my bench vise. And @ ~ $40 one can afford any type of sanding belt they want.249078 kind of upside down, but you get the idea. got this one when they first came out. no problems yet.
+1,I have the same model(3"x21" B&D Dragster) ,bought it used for $30 ,it is tough ,reliable, easy work with /change belts,can be maneuvered into tight corners .

.I have loaned it to people who abused it badly and yet it never dies,good dust collection too,best $30 I have ever spent.

glenn bradley
12-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Been having a lot of luck with a B&D Dragster model, 3" x 21" sander.

I also have this unit. Despite the B&D badge of shame, it is a very nice tool for shop use. I would not take this one to a job site and expect it to survive long but, I have used one in my home shop for almost 8 years without any problems at all. The flip up front cover, adjustable handle and small front wheel have all come to my rescue at one time or another. It also take the same belt sizes as this (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31273&site=ROCKLER) so despite it's low use, I manage to wear out the belts before the glue fails ;-)

michael osadchuk
12-29-2012, 1:14 PM
A sanding frame can turn a portable belt sander into something approaching a precision tool, and virtually eliminates the possibility of a dig-in. Can't recommend them highly enough although they're not available for all machines. It would be my have-to-have accessory if I bought another one of these sanders.

I have a PC 3x21 and it is built like a tank.... I had a 4x21 and find the 3x21 easier to manage.

If I was buying anew I would get a model for which there was a sanding frame for the reasons Frank mentions..... with it I suspect I would get more use out of my belt sander.

good luck

michael

Mark Ashmeade
12-29-2012, 1:27 PM
I have my grandfather's old Bosch. It's 220V, Swiss made. Looks a LOT like the Ryobi at the top of the page. Green body. If it dies, I'll replace it with another, although I'll have to look happy with a 110V one.

I'd love a 503 Locomotive, but not to use, just as a shop "ornament".

Bryan Cramer
12-29-2012, 1:29 PM
I have a reconditioned PC 3"X21". I got it very cheap. I hardly use it so it works for me.

Don Morris
12-30-2012, 5:23 AM
Frank Drew doesn't mention brands for sanding frames, but DeWalt makes a sanding frame for at least one of their units. I have a PC and they don't.

Mark Ashmeade
01-02-2013, 4:52 PM
I was browsing Craigslist yesterday, and what do I find? A P-C 504 Locomotive for $60!!!

It is now sitting in my shop, looking a bit sorry for itself. Still, give me a month or so and it will be all bright & shiny.

James Ayars
01-02-2013, 6:46 PM
I bought this one a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000040JNV/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

First used it to remove old contact cement from ~500 square feet of concrete. I've used it a couple times since on wood and am happy with how it has done.