PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Present brags

Thom Sturgill
12-25-2012, 11:51 AM
OK, list what (turning related) present you got this year!
The LOML, when I was too late to get into the Dixie Biggs workshop at the Florida symposium this year, got me a day at Dixie's shop in Gainesville. We have to go up there every couple of months to the University Hospital anyway, so she was able to schedule the training on a day we had to be there anyway.

Michael Stafford
12-25-2012, 12:04 PM
I received 3 wonderful little turned gifts from a friend. He gave us a dusting brush with a spalted maple handle perfect for dusting off keyboards. He also gave us a 3" magnifying glass with a black and white ebony handle which I have to admit I am finding more and more uses for these days. Lastly he gave us a turned Christmas tree light bulb of the style we older folks saw on trees growing up. We now have quite a collection of these wonderful little turnings and I now need to find a Christmas tree display from which I can hang my collection.

The only shop related turning gift I received were sticks of bubinga, bloodwood, bocote, birdseye maple, chakte kok, cocobolo, kingwood, satinwood and tulipwood ranging in length from 12" to 24" and sized appropriately for boxes of various shapes. My wife loves to shop for pretty wood and always finds terrific pieces to add to my inventory. She always gets first choice out of my shop.

Merry Christmas!

Greg Just
12-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I received the Kirk Deheer DVD "Sharpening Demystified" and for my birthday a few days ago I received Malcolm Tibbetts book on segmented turning.

Paul Williams
12-25-2012, 1:12 PM
I recieved a steady rest, a bedan, and some small hollowing tools.

David Gilbert
12-25-2012, 1:43 PM
My daughters and their significant others presented me with an 8", 180 grit CBN Grinding Wheel from D-Way Tools. It is so sweet! I wonder how the ever figured out which one to buy ;););). (Remember that some things are too important to leave to chance!)

I hope that everyone enjoys the holidays and gets to play safely in their shops.

Cheers,
David

charlie knighton
12-25-2012, 1:59 PM
i received from Virginia Woodturners Inc. on behalf of Southside Woodturners 3 dvd's. Jimmy Clewes's: Natural Edge Vase & Square Oriental Box; and Brian Noble-Marx's Ovoid Forms. these will be passed around the club. ho ho ho

Peter Blair
12-25-2012, 2:08 PM
I made out like a bandit!
Nova chuck for my mini
Treen mandrel from Beall
New face shield
Set of 1X collets from Beall
A couple of small router bits for my lathe router jig
Now, just to find time to put all too good use!!

Kathy Marshall
12-25-2012, 2:46 PM
Santa must have thought I've been pretty good this year. He sent me big, gorgeous 14" hunk of creme coolibah burl cap :D.
On the non turning side, waiting for one of my sisters to show up at mom's house. She said to bring an ice chest because she's bringing me a bunch of elk burger :D!

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 3:05 PM
Well.......I did not get any turning tools for Christmas, but I did get some $$$$ to buy some :D Since none of my family does woodworking besides me, they don't know what I want or need in the way of tools, so they just give me green and tell me to go at it.........I will take that deal any day...;)...especially since the were very generous!

I am going to get a 1/2" bowl gouge, likely another chuck [my 5th :o] and several other goodies, plus some non woodworking related things I need.

Jim Burr
12-25-2012, 4:58 PM
I grabbed a texture tool and 1/2 of a One way coring system. Pen and goodie sales have been brisk so I told my wife "If you get one half...I'll get the other" Ordering the knife set tomorrow!

Sid Matheny
12-25-2012, 6:29 PM
Another SuperNova2 chuck from Santa. Can't have to many! :cool:

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2012, 8:43 PM
A new bedan.

Joseph M Lary
12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I scored a McNaughton coring system med & large size . haven't had a chance to put it to the wood yet .

Rich Aldrich
12-25-2012, 10:33 PM
I received a 3/8' Jimmy Clewes Signature gouge from my wife and kids along with a 1/4" spindle gouge from my oldest daughter and son in law. Both are made by Doug Thompson.

I received a VS sawzall from my dad along with some cash, so I am debating what turning tools to buy. I am considering a Robust tool rest.....

Andrew Musgrave
12-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I Got a hollowing tool, a sanding pad, and some pen turning bits. Ooh, a fancy torch powered soldering iron thing, which I believe has a wood burning tip. Not that I have the patience to even attempt some the wood burned beauties on here...

Mike Cruz
12-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I was told that I was allowed to continue turning... :o

Harry Robinette
12-25-2012, 11:11 PM
I have a Jet Drill Press and the LOML got me a Drill Press Table from Woodpecker, it's really nice. My DP has a round metal plate with slots in it more for metal then wood. Also a 110 volt Remote to put on my Fien Vacuum so I can have it at the lathe for sanding and not have to leave it run all the time.

Ted Calver
12-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Two CBN wheels from D-Way

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Two CBN wheels from D-Way

Now there's a gloat for ya!

Jay Jolliffe
12-26-2012, 3:56 AM
Three week trip to Ireland...We're here now :D

Marc Himes
12-26-2012, 5:21 AM
I got a gift certificate to my favorite local store, Bell Forest Products, where they have a very nice assortment of local Upper Peninsula Maple and many tropical woods. They are kind enough to provide a meeting room for our local AAW chapter and have great wood, so I encourage friends and family to get me their gift certificates.
It looks like Santa was good to turners this year. CBN wheels, qouges, CDs, chucks and elk burger; it all sounds great to me.

Al Wasser
12-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I got a big headache! that is 2 $150 gift certificates and now I have to figure out how to use it

Jim Underwood
12-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Patriot PRO 2000 woodburner with 7 pens. I've been highlighting some carved gnomes with it. Very nice.

Alan Zenreich
12-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Lauren and I gave each other an Automach reciprocating carver. Nice toy, errr, tool.

Mike Cruz
12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Glad you ended up getting and likine it, Jim!

Pat Scott
12-26-2012, 11:09 AM
It's not turning related, but I got my Dad's "Sam Maloof Woodworker" book which Sam autographed. My Dad knew Sam and he stayed at their house in 1985. My Dad passed away 4 years ago, my step Mom gave me the book saying Dad would want me to have it. I got teary eyed.

Brent Grooms
12-26-2012, 2:13 PM
Santa felt sorry for me and let me get my new Stihl ms391 6 months early :D

paul vechart
12-26-2012, 3:03 PM
I received a set of Trent Bosch 5/8" hollowing tools and a face shield...also a gift card to Woodcraft!

HO! HO! HO!