PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Mrs. Claus .........

Paul McGaha
12-25-2012, 8:43 AM
Mrs. Claus was nice enough to spring for a brand new Lie Nielsen Low Angle Jack Plane.

Must say she had an assist from Creeker Kent Bathurst.

Thank you Frannie and Kent.

PHM

Bob Warfield
12-25-2012, 4:57 PM
Paul that's a great plane. I have one and wouldn't give it up. Do yourself a favor and get the "hotdog" atachment for it if you plan to use it on a shooting board. It is very comfortable to use and works great.
Merry Christmas
Bob

Jim Koepke
12-25-2012, 8:31 PM
That is one sweet plane and that is from personal experience.

Do yourself a favor and get the "hotdog" atachment for it if you plan to use it on a shooting board. It is very comfortable to use and works great.

+1 on this. Since mine is used mostly for shooting, the hot dog stays on all the time.

jtk

Jussi Auvinen
12-25-2012, 9:41 PM
Does the Lie-Nielsen hotdog handle fit the Veritas LA jack? :confused:

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Does the Lie-Nielsen hotdog handle fit the Veritas LA jack? :confused:

If it doesn't, Derek's got some info on his site on building your own.

The two issues of fit are going to be the curve of the sides - the difference between the profile of the two planes makes me think it might not be a great fit - and the thickness of the sidewall casting. No idea if the difference in profile is apt to be an issue, but if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll measure the slot thickness of the hotdog and post it - you could measure your plane's sidewall thickness and see if it fits.

Honestly, if I was going this route again, I'd probably build my own, having seen Derek's. I have the LN dog for my plane, and it makes it a joy to use on it's side. but looking back. I'm not sure if it's worth the 60 bucks to me.