PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Ornaments

Greg Ketell
12-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Been a very busy turning week (for me). 6 ornaments and 1.5 Salt Bowls. More on the Salt Bowls later.

(Click on pictures for full-size views)

This first two are both Amboyna Burl bells with African Blackwood handles. My lovely wife enhanced the bells further by adding Swarovski crystals to the handle and as the "knocker".
248915 248917

This one is Birds' Eye Maple (with most of the eyes turned off) with Curly Red Gum handle, and more crystals.

My wife is keeping this one! Black and White Ebony with African Blackwood handle.

Honduran Rosewood bell with more "blind" Birds' Eye Maple handle.

This is a thrice-saved piece. A few years ago I was trying to make a turned letter opener with an Ipe double-heart handle. The hearts ended up being too different sized to continue so it sat around forever. I was "belled out" and saw it sitting there so I cut it in half and turned one of the hearts into an ornament. Unfortunately the heart broke off just as I finished turning it and snapped the point off the heart. I was going to toss it and my wife grabbed it and fired up her lathe.... Now it has a Curly Koa finial holding it together and looking good. She is keeping this one too!

Comments and Critiques greatly appreciated!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!
GK

Jay Rasmussen
12-25-2012, 8:11 AM
All very nice Greg!

Agree with your wife, the Black and White Ebony with African Blackwood handle is exceptional.
It may be an illusion but the handle looks a little smaller, I think that enhances the piece.

Allan Ferguson
12-25-2012, 9:10 AM
Looking good!

Donny Lawson
12-25-2012, 2:12 PM
Excellent ornaments. I really like the bell ones. I will have to give those a try.

Timothy Mann
12-25-2012, 6:50 PM
Greg they are all very well done. The Amboyna Burl though is exceptional to me, beautiful.

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2012, 8:34 PM
Those are beauties. Love the amboyna burl.