PDA

View Full Version : I need a new bowl gouge.......

Roger Chandler
12-24-2012, 9:08 PM
Okay, here it is .....Christmas........Merry, Merry to everyone, by the way!! My Robert Sorby 1/2 inch bowl gouge is pretty far gone now.......I have ground it to about maybe 2.75 inches left in the flute......time for a new one.

I am wondering about the replacement I should get. I have some Thompson gouges and like them a lot...detail and 5/8 and 3/4 but not a 1/2" which is one of my "go-to" tools.

Now, please......don't anybody think I am trying to ignite tool wars here! But I was just wondering about the differences that some of you experienced turners note about the different brands..........

I am considering ....Thompson, of course, D-way [Dave advertises m42 steel hardened to 67 rockwell] and I thought about the Glaser Hi-tech........tried to go to his website, but got a "can't find" message back from my browzer........

The family was good to me again this year, and this is one thing I need to get pretty soon....like in a few days, but wanting to get the best tool I can. I realize all brands will have their supporters, but can you tell me why you prefer the one you do, and what have you used in comparison to it?

Please just give me the tool you really like and why, and what you have compared it to.......thanks all and Merry Christmas!

Del Hollingsworth
12-24-2012, 9:15 PM
No hyphen in Glaser Hitech. Try www.glaserhitech.com

Roger Chandler
12-24-2012, 9:19 PM
I tried the Glaser site again, this time with capital letters and it loaded......that should not make a difference, but it worked anyway for me.

John Keeton
12-24-2012, 9:19 PM
All my gouges are 1/2". Had the Thompson 5/8", but it honestly is too much gouge for my technique of turning and I sold it. I have both Thompson and D-Way - both excellent tools. Thompson may have a slight lead (very slight, if at all) in the durability of edge category, but I think my D-Way takes a sharper edge. They are entirely different profiles - the D-Way is more parabolic (close to a true parabolic) than either the V or U that Doug sells (I have previously had the V, and now have the U.) I have two D-Way, both ground identical, and I seem to use them with more frequency than the U. The V gouge was a favorite until I got the D-Way.

Hard choice between the two, honestly - both excellent tools, and both makers nice guys and excellent turners!

Marc Himes
12-24-2012, 9:24 PM
I have used the traditional Sorby and Crown bowl gouges, liking them both. It would be fun to go to another meeting, such as the Tennessee or Florida meetings where I could try others. The D-way looks interesting but I have the feeling that most of the higher quality gouges would do about the same job although some might have more comfortable handles and a little better steel. Do you have an AAW chapter near where you could get opinions and even try different tools?

Thom Sturgill
12-24-2012, 9:35 PM
My go to is my Thompson 'Jimmy Clewes' Signature V which is a sharper V than the regular V. (My other goto is the 3/8" version of that tool.) Among 5/8 my goto is the Ellsworth. I do a lot of shear cuts and both work well, the Ellsworth parabolic better than the regular V gouges of the same diameter. The JC V gouges have a narrower flute and do clog more.

I have a 5/8 U but it does not get much use, sometimes in the transition area of a bowl.

I have been in the habit of honing (not so much since I got the 180 grit CBN wheel) and Dave's gouges interest me and will probably be my next purchase. Why? I like the idea of the polished flute, it should produce a cleaner cutting edge and I like the parabolic Ellsworth 5/8" so it will be nice to try a parabolic 1/2" gouge.

Jamie Donaldson
12-24-2012, 9:51 PM
I have not been able to tell any significant difference between the 1/2" D-Way M-42 and the very similar Oneway Mastercut M-4 bowl gouges after using both for several years. I haven't compared prices for some time, as I buy multiple tools without handles so I have inventory available. I also use several Thompson tools, especially the 1/2" detail gouge that has no equal.

Roger Chandler
12-24-2012, 9:57 PM
My go to is my Thompson 'Jimmy Clewes' Signature V which is a sharper V than the regular V. (My other goto is the 3/8" version of that tool.) Among 5/8 my goto is the Ellsworth. I do a lot of shear cuts and both work well, the Ellsworth parabolic better than the regular V gouges of the same diameter. The JC V gouges have a narrower flute and do clog more.

I have a 5/8 U but it does not get much use, sometimes in the transition area of a bowl.

I have been in the habit of honing (not so much since I got the 180 grit CBN wheel) and Dave's gouges interest me and will probably be my next purchase. Why? I like the idea of the polished flute, it should produce a cleaner cutting edge and I like the parabolic Ellsworth 5/8" so it will be nice to try a parabolic 1/2" gouge.

Thanks Thom.......I had wondered what the difference was on the standard V and the Jimmy Clewes V......that info was helpful indeed!

Fred Belknap
12-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Roger my go to 1/2" bowl gouge is D-way. I just like the way it works, nice handle that will lay where you put it and feels good to handle. I will get another if it wears out before me.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Roger my go to are 1/2" Thompson and 1/2" D-way. Both are excellent. I had a 5/8" Thompson and like John just to big.

tom martin
12-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Roger my favorite half inch is the one-way mastercut. I have tried Thompson and prefer the oneway
Tom

Alan Trout
12-25-2012, 12:16 AM
I think for value to the dollar Doug's gouges are hard to beat. I use 5/8" for roughing out of balance pieces and for shear scraping larger surfaces. My general purpose gouge is the 1/2" and my personal favorite for some reason is the 3/8" gouge. I almost use it like a spindle gouge at times, but can still hog a bit off if needed. D-ways are also nice and are a good tool. Either one will be a good tool and I think you would be happy with either. I personally prefer the V profile or a parabolic over a U shape but I know others like the U shape.

Merry Christmas

Alan

Harry Robinette
12-25-2012, 1:50 AM
Roger
I believe if your using a 1/2" Sorby your going to want a 5/8" American gouge ie: Thompson or D-Way 5/8" also Sorby has a sort of parabolic shape so watch that shape. If you can find Scott H.he uses a Sorby gouge because of their flute might question him on that.
It's hard to find a gouge that will cut the way your use to and it not be the same company.I changed from Sorby,Crown,Henry Taylor and P&N.
When I went to Thompson that was it I love them I have never tried Dave's tools but heard allot of good talk about them.
So watch the size American to all others. Watch the flute shape. Oh ya watch the length also some of them have smaller flute length and their normally the more expensive, go figure. I use Doug Thompson tools and handles and love them but everyone needs what fits them. GOOD LUCK on your hunt.

Richard Jones
12-25-2012, 2:24 AM
I have 2 1/2" Sorbys, one of which is ground to a bottom feeder and the other to a shear scraper, and 3/8"V, 1/2"V, and 5/8" V & U Thompson. Tried the Oneway Mastercut and found it way too "grabby" for me and promptly returned it. Can't speak to the Glaser, but understand that the profile is similar to the Oneway. I have a D-way spindle gouge and love it, and if I get another bowl gouge it will be his 1/2". Truth be known, all of them work fine, the biggest variable being the driver............

My go-to is the Thompson 5/8" U for 95% of my work. My 5/8" V sits unhandled and unused, it's position in the rotation usurped by the U in a matter of seconds. You are welcome to try it out if you like, just say the word.

And a Merry Christmas to all.........

Bill Hensley
12-25-2012, 7:00 AM
Well after spending the time and money on the following I have a favorite; 1/2" Sorby, 1/2" DT V, 1/2" D-Way. The Sorby with a sweptback grind and 45 degree nose. It's an all purpose tool, final shaping of bowls, hollow forms and initial shaping of spindle work. It's my second one and I it bought used, my first one I ground into a bottom feeder.

I sometimes grab the D-Way because it feels very similar to the Sorby and has the same grind. I use the DT V the least, mostly hogging the core of smaller bowls.

My goto workhorses however are 2 Crown Pro PM 5/8". One with a typical Oneway grind and the other with a more Ellsworth like grind.

It's all so subjective. Hopefully you can test drive a variety and save yourself a couple hundred $s (or more) in your pursuit of gouge nirvana. Good luck!

Jon Nuckles
12-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Roger, Merry Christmas to you. I do 90%+ of my turning with just 2 tools: a Thompson 5/8" v and a Glaser that is slightly smaller (I'd say 1/2", but I think Glaser tools follow the English measurement standard so it is likely a 3/8"). I use the Thompson to rough, hollow, and shear scrape. I use the Glaser for finer cuts and it seems to yield a smoother surface and the 15v does seem to stay sharp a little longer. The difference may be due to the size or design or my technique with them. I use the same same vari-grind settings for them. Good luck with your choice.

Ralph Lindberg
12-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Some thoughts.... Glaser tools, are I think over priced today. The new maker ran the price way up.
Benjamen's Best would not be on my list, all of the BB gouges I have (three) are cut off-center.
I haven't looked at Stewart's new gouges, but they should be good.
I have found I don't like "V" cut gouges, "U" cut are better, parabolic are my clear favorite.
As for size, I have a 3/4 Sorby, several 1/2 inch (BB, D-Way, Sorby, etc), a 7/16 and three 3/8. I find I use the various 1/2 the most.

Personally the only tools I am CURRENTLY buying are D-Way, I like the quality they arrive in, sharp and polished. But Dave is also local, I've been to his house this month and also saw him at the local club Christmas party.

Reed Gray
12-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Well, I rough bowls with scrapers. For gouges, I have gotten away from the swept back designs, and most of the time prefer the 40/40 grind for finish cuts on the outside, and for down the wall for the inside. The Thompson V gouge flute design seems to work best for this grind. I have a couple of the D Way gouges, and for cutting, I can find little difference in edge wear when comparing Thompson to D Way. The D Way seem to have a deeper flute, which does not seem to work as well for the 40/40, but is better suited for the swept back design. Main reason is I hold my gouges level, and rolled over so I am cutting more with the nose rather than the wing, so a slightly more open flute works better here because there is a larger sweet spot. For the transition and across the bottom, I have a number of toys. A couple of the bottom feeder type a standard Craft Supplies 1/2 inch gouge, a One way 1/2 inch spindle/detail type gouge nose ground to ), a Thompson U gouge, and several of Doug's fluteless gouges, which the more I use them, the more I like them. I think Dave tumbles his gouges with ceramic beads to polish them. Not sure it makes any big difference that I notice, but it really looks nice. I prefer Doug and Dave because you buy from the guy who makes the tools. One can never have too many tools/toys.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
12-25-2012, 3:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks......another question......any one here ever used the "ultimate bowl gouge from Serious Toolworks? It is fluted the entire way and has either end so you can put a different grind on each end and flip it in their machined stainless steel handle, which has a camlock collet in it. A bit pricey, but looks to be a fine piece of tooling and has a rockwell hardness of 68-70.

http://www.serioustoolworks.com/serious-ultimate-gouge.php

http://www.serioustoolworks.com/images/camlock-handle.jpg No rust, corrosion or staining with the Stainless steel when turning wet woods!

Anthony Cayll
12-27-2012, 2:49 PM
I have/use Glaser 15v, Hamlet 2060, Crown Pro PM and Thompson u&v. I love the feel of my Glaser, Hamlets and Crowns. The Glaser holds an edge longer than all. It all depends on what you want to spend and if you like wood or metal for a handle.

Ralph Lindberg
12-27-2012, 3:12 PM
Serious Tools
I haven't used them, some folk in the club have and I have heard no "serious" complaints about them.
My hesitation would be two fold, one they will not tell you what alloy/treatment process they are using, so I can't apply my knowledge of metals and two, Dave (D-Way) is a member of our local club

Roger Chandler
12-27-2012, 3:39 PM
Well, I did order the Serious Tool Works "ultimate gouge" and a handle. I had seen the tools last year as their company president came to our club and did a demo. He brought some tools with him, and they were indeed impressive. Now the real proof will be in the edge I am able to achieve with this and the longevity of that edge when turning........I will be able to compare with my Thompsons and my cryogenic pinnacle gouge that I really have liked.

I had a lengthy conversation with the president of Serious Toolworks and he was able to answer all my questions, got my order out immediately......should be here tomorrow, and told me by phone and later with a followup email that stated....

"The objective here is that these tools will exceed your expectations in turning performance. If this is a rare situation where you do not get the product performance you need, please give me adequate opportunities to remedy the problem and to satisfy you. If I can not deliver in a prompt time frame, we will totally refund your purchase."

Now this was a bit pricey......but I ordered an extra collet for the handle so I can use my Thompson gouge in it if I wish to do so......it has a neoprene sleeve that I need in this cold winter weather, so I will be able to use both the 1/2" and the 5/8" gouges in the same handle.

One of the selling points for me was that the entire tool length is fluted and I can put a different grind on one end than the other, so to make a bottom feeder one end, and a swept back on the other........might just be the ticket with the camlock handle.......switching is a breeze and fast.

With his guarantee.......if for some reason I feel like the tool is not what was advertised, then I feel comfortable that Serious Toolworks will refund my money, so I am not risking anything here.........that is my rationale.

Relative to the alloys of the gouge.......while that is proprietary to them, I was told that the carbides begin at 70 rockwell hardness and that the ultimate gouges range from 68-70........just under the carbides and they are designed to really hold an edge and reduce trips to the grinder.

mark ravensdale
12-29-2012, 7:58 PM
Don't forget about the sorby with the titanium coating, works a treat, they last longer between sharpening and the flute dosn't get gummed up as quickly as my other gouges,
been using both the titanium sorby and the crown pro-pm side by side and the sorby wins hands down, it holds an edge longer than the crown and just seems to work better (I was somewhat dismayed with the crown pro-pm as its edge holding abilities came nowhere near what I thought it would and it's flute had tooling marks clearly visible, however it's handle is the best I have ever come across in wood)