PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments - Christmas Eve Edition

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2012, 11:08 AM
24 Dec 2012

Good Morning and happy after the world was supposed to end. :)

The holidays are here and I hope and pray that each of you are ready for Christmas day...tomorrow. ;)

I'm spending time with the family and helping #1 son out a bit because....well....it's a really long and confusing story.

I want to wish for each of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.!!!

I started oncall duty this morning for the day job....so not much else is going to get done.

So, what did YOU do this past weekend? Got plans for tomorrow???

Best of Christmas weeks to you all.!!!

Shawn Pixley
12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I did my best to avoid both the rain and the malls. We in southern California are weather wimps. Temps in the 50's with light drizzle and the appocalypse is here. I have to wear shoes now when walking the dog.

Traffic coming home on Friday was awfull. Why should it take over an hour to drive 20 miles at 2:00 in the afternoon? We did the dog exercise at the dogpark both days. A few hours of sanding / finishing of the cabinet. Wiping an oil varnish mix and then waiting for it to dry - seriously boring, but I love the end result. Capping it all off, the Seahawks won. Its qiet this morning with everyone else asleep. I am on-call for work but in theory I have two weeks off. Time to start a new project.

Jim O'Dell
12-24-2012, 3:19 PM
Getting the van packed and food finished up for a trip to OK and the, as of tomorrow, land of snow and ice. Will see if we get stranded, or if we even get to make the second half of the trip tomorrow.
Shawn, I've got 3 coats of Waterlox to put on a chair I'm redoing for the wife. Wish it was going to be 50+ here the next few days, I might skip the OK trip. Hope everyone gets the new tool they want!! Jim.

Matt Meiser
12-24-2012, 4:49 PM
No woodworking at all here. Inlaw Christmas at our house Saturday. My family Christmas at my parents yesterday and family portraits today. I was hoping to pick up some ply for a shop cabinetry project later this week but we've apparently got a significant storm headed our way Wednesday.

Terry Barnhill
12-24-2012, 6:52 PM
Worked the day job hanging some pendant lights this morning, then came home and worked a bit of finish into the mirror frame I'm making my great niece.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Alan Bienlein
12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Working on the night stands to go with the Queen size bed I just finished building.

Bill Huber
12-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Working on the night stands to go with the Queen size bed I just finished building.

Nice looking, are the legs made of light colored stock and then veneered? I like the look of the cut out which is lighter then the outer part of the leg.

Ken Lutes
12-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Nothing going on here. The shop has been cold for a few weeks now. Maybe I will get back out there in the next few days! Everyone have a great holiday.

Alan Bienlein
12-25-2012, 1:18 PM
Nice looking, are the legs made of light colored stock and then veneered? I like the look of the cut out which is lighter then the outer part of the leg.

The legs are made from a solid core door that I had lying around. The core is made up of tight grain rift sawn pine. It does add a nice contrast but the plan is to veneer it.

Here is another shot of the legs before I cut the mortises with my horizontal slot mortiser. All the tenons were cut with a pantorouter.

BOB OLINGER
12-26-2012, 8:49 AM
Dennis,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family, also. Being our family celebrations were over, I actually spent yesterday morning tearing our fixtures (lavatory, cabinet, stool, and shower) in the last of 3 planned bathroom remodels. Next will be drywall and floor ceramic tile removal, then new drywall, new ceramic floor tile, etc.

David Hostetler
12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I spent very, very little time in the workshop, or doing any sort of woorworking, instead we are continuing the progress through the home remodeling. My current project is the home office.

My weekend started early as I had Friday off as well, and I spent the better part of the weekend sorting through stacks of boxes from both my wife and myself, and shredding ancient documents like tax returns from 1987 etc...

I managed to get the home office mostly cleaned up, still have some things that need to be gone through. Touched up the paint etc...

I replaced the battery on my 585AVR UPS, and got the batteries taken out, and ordered for the original 1500. The new 1500 is set up and now powering the iSCSI SAN enclosure, controller head, and switches.

I have the LAN hardware, modem, router, switch, and the DirecTV dongle, mounted up on the desk side, acting as a sort of structured wiring setup. The 585AVR powers this.

I have surface mount boxes, and raceway I need to finish installing, combined with an 8 port keystone / faceplate.

The not fun part will come when the desk, filing cabinets and bookcases have to be pulled out to redo the flooring. Not something I look forward to. In my line of work, I need to be up on the latest tech, and training budgets are a rare thing these days, so I have to maintain my own IT infrastructure in my home office, which means my setup is FAR more complex than your typical Modem / WiFi router, laptop / printer rig.... I have 2 bookcases full of nothing but books on UNIX, Linux, Windows, Android, and even MacOS... All that stuff is not going to be fun to move...