PDA

View Full Version : Segmented cherry

Justin Stephen
12-24-2012, 10:06 AM
I have finally been able to start turning again after about a year off. I was just getting ready to start playing around with segmented turning a year ago so it was nice to pick up where I left off.

My first bowl was made from a cheap white pine board from my local BORG. It turned out reasonably well, a few visible seams and a mistake that I made with the base of the bowl on the lathe. My second was from a BORG maple board. Better seams but still didn't care for how I turned it so it is still unfinished. Here it is still on the lathe:

This is my third effort, made from a good cherry board, about 9 1/2" in diameter and about 5" high, finished with WTF and buffed. It was good enough to give as a gift for Xmas, so I was pretty happy with it.

C&C welcome.

Doug W Swanson
12-24-2012, 10:35 AM
While the base may be a little wide in the first picture, I still think it's worth finishing.

Love the cherry bowl. It has clean lines and looks great!

Thom Sturgill
12-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Justin, I agree with Doug. Maple will always show more difference piece to piece than some other woods like cherry. Its just the nature of the wood. I would hollow out the base though.
As a side question, how do you like that chuck? I've thought about adding one to my tool collection.

Peter Blair
12-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Very nice Justin! Too pretty to go without your signature on the bottom . . . .

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Really nice. Make sure you sign it.

Justin Stephen
12-24-2012, 2:48 PM
Thanks all. The base on the maple bowl isn't as big as the picture angle makes it look. I just made a mistake angling in towards the bottom when I turned the outside. I don't have jaws big enough to quite grip the base so I will pick up some #3s for my Talon and finish the inside one of these days.

As a side question, how do you like that chuck? I've thought about adding one to my tool collection.

To be honest, I don't think it works very well at all by itself. Even with very light cuts with a sharp gouge it still usually fails to hold its grip very well, even with the individual knobs tightened down.

I tend to use it now in lieu of a jam chuck, keeping the tailstock up as long as possible and then securing the bowl to the longworth with strips of duct tape for the final finishing. Any duct tape residue comes off easily with a couple of swipes with 600 grit.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2012, 5:32 PM
I think you did really good on the Cherry bowl! Nice form, great looking joints and a good looking finish! Should make for a wonderful Christmas gift - if you wanted to give it away!

Hope this means you are now turning again! A year is a long time away from the lathe!!!

Marc Himes
12-24-2012, 9:12 PM
I have never done any segmenting work so they both look well made to me, although the cherry seems to have less visible joints. Nice work.