PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about fork lifts

John Weber
04-26-2005, 9:11 PM
Hey guys,

I would like to buy a fork lift, but don't know that much about trucks, (even though I designed a battery changing area for 100 truck and 200+ batteries and other associated equipment). Anyway I'm looking at either a gas or propane older lift. I found a Hyster, Model S50A, 5,000# Capacity, Cushion Tired, Gasoline, Forklift, S/N 20757L on ebay fairly close. Since we can't post links, you can add http:// and cut and paste the address:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7509730485

I know gas smells a bit, but other then a couple weeks loading and unloading some trailers it will only get very light use. So what you you guys think? Should I keep looking for a propane truck, something else, or would a gas unit be ok. Anything to look for or ask the seller?

Thanks -John

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/e5/76/11_1_b.JPG

Ian Barley
04-27-2005, 2:50 AM
John

All the trucks I have seen on Ebay over here have been pretty questionable. Certainly before you go that way ask alocal dealer about used stock for comparison. I would avoid any electric truck on Ebay as battery costs can be huge. I suspect that you have figured that already.

Is the truck going to be used inside or outside? Inside points to propane. Outside leaves your options open. What is the work surface like? Some truck are designed only for smooth indoor surfaces so you need to check clearance etc.

Don't forget to factor delivery costs. Forklifts are necessarily heavy and need the appropriate delivery vehicle.

But once you've got one, even if you only need it very occasionally, you will love it for the time and back breaking that it will save ya.

Tyler Howell
04-27-2005, 8:22 AM
Gas can be converted to propane!

Norman Hitt
04-27-2005, 9:59 PM
John, I'm no expert on forklifts, but have operated quite a few, so here's my .02 worth.

Look at it personally, and check the following:

Easy starting cold, (show up unannounced to see it, so they can't warm it up before you get there), check the clutch (if it is a manual transmission), put on at least a 2000 to 2500 lb load,(and if it was me, I would load it with 4500 lbs) and pick it up at IDLE, (this will check the motor, and the hydraulic pump, hyd cylinders, and control valves for internal leakage). Operate EVERY control for proper function while loaded and also check for external leaks. If you hear a kind of buzzing noise as a control is being operated, it indicates an internal leakage in one of the components of that particular hyd circuit.

Rob Russell
04-28-2005, 9:34 PM
My perspective is that too many "fork lifts" is bad for the waistline. :rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
04-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Like Norm, I'm also no expert, but have operated quite a few. Here's a couple of other things I can think of to consider. Does the facility where you're going to operate this have a truck well (and possibly dock leveler too) where you're able to drive the forklift into the trailer for unloading? This is usually a good thing, but will limit the size of lift you're able to use. If not, there may be quite a few occasions where you need to attach chains to drag skids from the front of a trailer to the back where you can pick it up and lift it off and a bigger lift with more power might be in order. You'd also want something with tires that have some tread to them vs. the smoother tires on lifts primarily intended for inside use. Otherwise you'll just spin your tires trying to drag heavier stuff to the back of the truck - especially in Indiana months with wet or snowy pavement.