PDA

View Full Version : Another "old" saw..

steven c newman
12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
bandsaw broke a blade, too far to drive to the old shop to get another one. I have to make a few cuts in some wood that was giving off sparks when the bandsaw was try to cut it. :eek: And this wood is nail free. :confused: Decided to get out another old saw248854 Black & Decker in a green paint job???:eek: going to try it out later. The wood?248855248856 bandsaw made THAT cut. Grain looks almost Oak like. Handplanes love it, but not the bandsaw, It came fro a stash a friend had..248857The wide one is 8" wide. As for the B&D sabresaw, any idea about the age? I think it is almost as old as I am.......:D

Michael Dromey
12-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Based on color late 1970's to very early 80's is my guess.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey, there is a flashback! My very first power tool to use as I wanted, a very long time ago, was a second hand one of those. Used it to carve up every board I could find, usually into a gun shaped object. It was a different time...

I remember mine would get hot, and it was one of those epiphany moments when I got a new one that didn't.

Rick Potter
12-24-2012, 1:18 PM
I have an orange one. I think my dad got it at K-mart in the 70's. I have also seen yellow ones. I suspect B&D made their 'consumer' models in different colors for different chain stores.

A few years back, at a WW show, an old line hardware store (Battles Hardware) was selling off some 70's Rockwell tools that were green. They found them in their warehouse. I bought a jig saw for my SIL. He is happy with it.

Older tools were all metal. Somewhere along the line, they started putting grounded plugs on them, and you needed an adaptor to plug them into most houses. The next step was to start making them with plastic housings for the consumer market with a two prong plug. Of course this made them cheaper, but manufacturers could sell it as a 'safety feature'. They had a term for it, but I can't remember what it was....'double insulated' sounds pretty close though.

Sorry for the long winded remarks, I tend to go on.

Rick Potter

steven c newman
12-24-2012, 1:24 PM
I have at least one more cut to make248885Yes, that IS my bench. Might make a few mortise and tenon cuts, too. Takes awhile to set things up for each task, so that saw will get a chance, if needed, to cool down. Going to check out that bandsaw, as well. Trying to figure where all the sparks were coming from when I was cutting those boards.

steven c newman
12-24-2012, 1:30 PM
About half a mile to the north of me is the old Rockwell factory where they made a lot of their tools at. Just a "rent-a-wharehouse" now. My folks were neighbors to a "mid Manager" there. In that guy's basement was EVERY tool Rockwell made, back then. About mid to late 60s?? Don't think any Rockwell stuff is left at the old factory.

steven c newman
12-24-2012, 4:53 PM
Saw itself worked just fine. That POS blade, though...first cut or two it was fine. After that, it would bend all over the place. Blade MIGHT be a little old, and just a tad dull. I am cutting through some 4/4 stuff that looks like Oak, but cause sparks to fly when I cut it on a bandsaw. Wood just might a tad hard? This Sabresaw even has two speeds! Slow to get the cut started, and then you can shift into "high" speed to make the cuts. Yep it does get a little warm, but not bad.

Rick Potter
12-24-2012, 6:51 PM
Steven,

Get yourself some jig saw blades that are made in Switzerland, Home Depot sells them. Night and day difference to the regular cheap blades. You might have better luck leaving it in low. With that hard a wood, you could burn the blade on high.

Merry Christmas,
Rick Potter

Lee Schierer
12-25-2012, 11:51 AM
The saw was made in the 70's. I had the same saw before I purchased my Bosch. The weakness is the pot metal holder for the screw that locks in the blade. Eventually the threads will strip and the blade won't stay in place because you can't tighten the screw. You will need to use blades with holes in the shanks so the screw can grip them. Smooth shanks like Bosch blades will slip out.

Carl Carew
12-25-2012, 1:52 PM
My first guess for the source of sparks would be to check that the blade guides are set correctly, given that the wood is specially hard you may have pushed the rear guide back some allowing the teeth to come in contact with the side guides.

Regards
Carl

steven c newman
12-25-2012, 6:36 PM
Went and got a pair of "new" blades from the old shop. Will take my time installing one of them. New blade in the sabresaw, did a nice job! I looked at the blade, seems at one time, B&D made some good to better sabresaw blades. Went from flex-o-matic to hot knife through warm butter. Amazing! Brought in my chisel sets from the old shop, along with anything else I could fit in a box or two. A few more clamps as well. I even have a Stanley #18 Knuckle-cap on the way from MN I won on Ebay. My very first Knuckle cap plane.

Planing Bench will arrive after the winter storm is cleaned up this week. Then I MIGHT get a decent bench for some of my toys, er, tools to sit on. Might even build some storage boxes on the bottom shelf of the Plane Bench. Even have a plan to down load for a fancy Plane till. Lathe might even show up with the bench, we'll see. As for the old B&D Sabresaw? It was my late Dad's, I'm just keeping it going. Seems to do alright.