PDA

View Full Version : hardwood flooring question

guy knight
12-23-2012, 8:47 PM
i just bought a new cargo trailer and was thinking of putting a solid hardwood floor in it just for durability it will be subjected to temperature changes and low to high moisture changes it will be going over plywood what wood do you think would be best i will be gluing it down and am not worried about a finish
i should mention it is enclosed

Peter Quinn
12-23-2012, 9:03 PM
White oak is a nice choice, QS is more stable but probably a waste of your money for the floor of a trailer. Maple is tough but not stable and does;t like moisture. Jatoba would be a fine choice if you could find some at the right price. Ipe would be ideal but the cost is pretty high now. Meranti might be ok, or garapa. Hickory wears well, not as stable as white oak IME but often cheaper. You might have some minor gaping with hardwood in a trailer, but IMO who cares?

Michael Dromey
12-24-2012, 1:01 AM
White oak only. By far the best for that. I bought some here in Kansas for $1 bd ft from a farmer. Very heavy but could be the last floor you ever put in it..

Dan Rude
12-24-2012, 1:54 AM
You might want to install with Screws or a different fastner over glue. This way if it gets damaged you can just flip the board over. A friend of mine did this for his pick-up bed. After 10 years he flipped the boards and it is still in good shape 5 years latter.
Dan

Mark Wooden
12-24-2012, 8:05 AM
We use a lot of locust around here.
+1 with Dan, just use some screws, countersink them well

Rick Moyer
12-24-2012, 8:28 AM
Just pointing out that you may want to consider the weight you are putting in there as well.

Jim O'Dell
12-24-2012, 3:25 PM
One of the hardwood lumber yards here locally shows 5/4 white oak specifically for trailer beds. I'm guessing it is less than premium cuts, but that would be fine for a trailer. Jim.