PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander question

Rick Potter
12-23-2012, 7:16 PM
I have a 36" Woodmaster single drum sander. When I bought it, I wanted to be able to send a completed face frame through it. I have found I prefer to sand the individual pieces first then assemble and finish sand with a ROS. This avoids the scratches on the cross grain.

So, I am wondering about putting two different grits of paper on the same drum. It has a velcro attaching system, and I would have to put shipping tape on the center of the drum where the grits change. This would still allow me plenty of room on each side for at least a 12-14" board. If I put the dividing line towards one side, I could still finish sand a raised panel on one side and do minor sizing and rough sanding of rails and stiles on the other, then run them through the finer grit side.

Is this just another of my unworkable ideas? Has anyone tried this?

Rick Potter

Michael Dromey
12-24-2012, 1:06 AM
I wouldn't. I think you would have minor thickness differences and the tape wouldn't hold up to the stress.

Jeff Finn
12-29-2012, 9:21 AM
I have the 38" Woodmaster sander and have it setup exactly this way with 100 grit on one half and 150 on the other. I'll go as high as 220 to finish pieces and reduces the need for orbital sanding. Just cut your paper to have the width and use a double wrap of the filament tape in the middle and right side. I put a piece of black electrical tape on the front indicating where the center was so I'd remember to feed wood on either side of it. When you finish with the first grit it is a good idea to back off the thickness a quarter turn before feeding into the finer grit as the paper isn't going to be the same thickness and you don't want to over stress the paper and create a ripple/rip (i've done this on 220).

All the professional cabinet shops I'm familiar with feed their frames through as complete assemblies. I do this commonly with frames and doors tool. It's gets it flat and a consistent thickness. If you work through the grits up to 180 or 220 grit - you'll find the amount of hand sanding you need with an orbital is very minimal.

Rick Potter
12-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate the input. I think I will try it. Most of the raised panels I make are under 18", so this might work out great for me in my hobby shop.

Michael,
The velcro drum is doing the holding of the sandpaper on this machine, the tape is just on the end to ensure that a corner doesn't come loose. The work piece should never touch the tape.

Thanks guys,
Rick Potter