PDA

View Full Version : Juniper Pepper Mills

Joseph M Lary
12-23-2012, 5:12 PM
I got some Juniper form a friends land along the river, it was flooded last year 6 to 8 ft under water killed a lot of trees . cut some this fall and turned them to pepper mills. the photos didn't come out that good ,still working on that.248749248748

Doug Herzberg
12-23-2012, 5:25 PM
I love juniper, but it often cracks for me. These are nice mills. I hope the wood doesn't flavor the seasonings in a bad way. The forms remind me a little of a Russian cathedral, or perhaps a chess piece. Cut a slot and you have a bishop, add a parapet and you have a rook, crown them for king and queen. You didn't say what kind of finish. Hope you keep the color for as long as possible.

Joseph M Lary
12-23-2012, 5:38 PM
Did a lacquer finish . just some trial pieces not sure if the wood will flavor the pepper either .Time will tell.

Jim Burr
12-23-2012, 7:38 PM
Nice stuff Joseph!! Was is hard to cut? I've had some that you couldn't cut with a chainsaw! Although I'm dead set against it...maybe a coat of laquer on the inside wouldn't hurt...but then Juniper flavored pepper could be the next food craze!!

Joseph M Lary
12-24-2012, 5:14 PM
Jim
There are a few hundred trees that died when it flooded last summer ,not very big trees up to 12" round this was a small one just though I would give it a try. It turned like pine very soft .Drilled the pith out when I brought it home to let it dry . Though about putting Laquer on the inside or another type of finish .

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2012, 5:21 PM
I like it! Good form, a few burned detail rings and the color looks great! On the photo thing... try a lighter background and see if that helps.

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2012, 8:00 PM
Looks good Joseph! Cool coloring too, I hope it keeps it.

Marc Himes
12-24-2012, 9:02 PM
Very attractive pepper mills, Joseph. The wood sure is pretty. I have worked with a few pieces and found it turned well but as you say it is fairly soft.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Joseph those are nice. I turn a lot of cedar mills. I always put a couple of coats of shellac on the inside. I have never had a problem with the cedar affecting pepper or salt.

Donny Lawson
12-25-2012, 2:13 PM
Great looking mills. I like the over all design.