PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for mounting industrial type wood vise.

Timothy Serback
12-23-2012, 4:58 PM
I'm trying to make my first workbench that will be located in one of my bedrooms converted to a shop/storage area. I'll be making a second heavier duty one in my garage as soon as my car project is finished next year. I have a heavy 68lb Norbourn Woodworkers Vise, made around 1900, which can be seen as was discussed at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181617. I'm trying to use what I have on hand, as I am again unemployed as of a few weeks ago.

My table top is 1.71" factory primed solid core slab door. I'm not sure what exactly it's made out of (MDF, PB, etc), but it's 35.6 x 79.9" x 1.71 and weighs about 92.5lbs, which is roughly 32.8lbs/ft³. (btw, all measurements are inches). On the same table will be a Morgan 140 Vise (6", about 56lbs) and 1930's Craftsman 101.03582 tabletop drill press (probably 110-130lbs?). The mounting surface of the vise is 7.5 x 18.8, with 8 holes that are 5/16. Here are some materials I have for bracing that general area: 12 x 2 (11.25 x 1.5) old pine board and a lot of smaller pieces; 30 x 14.6 x .118 sheet of aluminum; plenty of 5/8 and 3/4 MDF and OSB; a bunch of 3" wide tongue and groove oak planks (however the bottom side is ribbed, and I don't have an efficient way of making it flat); 1.25 x 6.63, 2.38 x 3.5, and 1.5 x 3.38 reclaimed oak boards. I was thinking about putting the AL sheet on top anyways for some area where I can do soldering and stuff, however there may be problems of the aluminum deforming from stress of the weight pulling down on the bolts (maybe?). Since I wanted the vise lowered a bit anyways, I was thinking about using the 1.25 x 6.63 or 1.5 x 3.38 oak boards sandwiched between the top and the vise. Another idea is Any thoughts about these ideas, or any other suggestions?

As far as fastening, I have: 5/16" grade 8 bolts, nuts and fender washers; regular grade bolts, nuts, and assorted washers; zinc plated 5/16" T-Nuts of unknown strength, and 5/16 galvanized lag screws (but I've read enough to know I should avoid using them with my situation). What would be the best way to fasten it with what I have?

I've been researching ideas for over 5 hours, and if I had money I would have solved my problems by getting a heavier duty and thicker bench top and longer bolts (the max length of my 5/16" bolts are 3.5"). I am going to be using this is as my main bench about a year, and I could limit my roughness/heavy duty usage to whatever suggestions I get. I just want to get this table going and make use of stuff I've had on the floor.

Rod Sheridan
12-23-2012, 7:16 PM
5/8" bolts for a 60 pound vise??????

I would have used 5/16 or 3/8" bolts...................Rod.

Timothy Serback
12-23-2012, 7:39 PM
Doh! Rod, I meant to say 5/16. I wasn't reading it right. The original holes are 5/16" holes, and the bolts that I have are 3.5" grade 8 5/8" with grade 8 fender washers and nuts

david brum
12-24-2012, 9:35 AM
I would use the lag bolts. Eight lag bolt is a lot of holding power, even if they aren't high strength.

Chris Fournier
12-24-2012, 9:41 AM
I would use the lag bolts. Eight lag bolt is a lot of holding power, even if they aren't high strength.

Lags are often a great choice but the material and structure is unknown so lags are probably not the best choice in this situation.

Myk Rian
12-24-2012, 9:58 AM
5/16" carriage bolts, with a slight counter-sink in the bench top. Standard, off-the-shelf bolts will do.
Hex bolts will work. Just drill the counter-sinks a bit deeper. Washers under the heads.
You would be surprised how sturdy those doors are. No need to over-build this.