PDA

View Full Version : Uno Mas

David DeCristoforo
12-23-2012, 4:48 PM
The last time I posted one of these, I said that it was the last piece of this found burl I had. Well… turns out I lied. OK… I didn't really lie. I just thought it was the last piece. But rummaging around in my wood stash, I came across two more chunks. So I thought I might as well continue my foray into hollow forms. I am tending, it would seem, to favor fuller forms. I had a pretty good shape on this one but I was thinking I might want to bring it in a bit on the lower half of the form. While I was debating this, I noticed a spot about a third of the way up where it needed a tiny bit of "adjustment". I got that done Ok but as I was moving the tool away, I had this inexplicable massive twitch which resulted in my stabbing the tip of the gouge back into the spinning form, leaving a nice quarter inch deep groove that spiraled up to about the middle of the form. Voila! Decision made. Bottom is getting "taken in" a bit!

Doug Herzberg
12-23-2012, 5:19 PM
No matter how often I "rummage" around my wood stash, this sort of chunk does not turn up. As king of the inexplicable massive twitch (although usually while withdrawing a tool from the inside of a very thin form), I can certainly sympathize. In this case, the result was not bad at all.

I've enjoyed this series of burl forms, but haven't commented because your work is on a different plane and I just don't have much to add. I can almost follow your narratives and hope someday I get a feel for the perfect curve, but for now, I'm content to just observe. They've all been wonderful to see.

Allan Ferguson
12-23-2012, 5:31 PM
That is impressive all the way around.

Roger Chandler
12-23-2012, 8:32 PM
I think this is better than the last one David......the curve flows all the way to the bottom with out a secondary turn from the side..........I don't know if that is an accurate description, but this one just seems to have a line to the base that is without a waist .......again probably not the best description......having trouble explaining my thought.......not as full perhaps on the bottom third going down into the tuck..........a sweet curve and beautifully grained wood.

First rate! That little twitch might have been a bit fortuitous!

Prashun Patel
12-23-2012, 8:58 PM
Stunning. So beautiful.

Doug W Swanson
12-23-2012, 9:29 PM
I like the fuller form, David. The shape does a really good job of showing off the wonderful grain in the wood. I don't think a more slender piece would look as good. I love the natural opening, too.

Nate Davey
12-23-2012, 9:40 PM
Another great form, David. I haven't decided which one I prefer. The wood steals the show so it's a tough call. I'm going to go look through my pile to see if any of that spectacular stuff made it over here!

David E Keller
12-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Lovely... That little opening looks like a mouth puckering for a kiss.;)

Eric Gourieux
12-23-2012, 11:07 PM
That's really great, DD. The form and wood are impeccable. What is the size?

Bob Rotche
12-24-2012, 7:37 AM
Outstanding work as always. I'm continually amazed at how often repair of the "unexpected twitch" results in a really nice form. Just goes to show that there are countless perfect curves hidden within the wood.

Marc Himes
12-24-2012, 7:58 AM
A very nice piece David. The form and the wood are both wonderful to view. It is one of those pieces that I could hold and view closely, finding something new every time I examined it. Looks like fun and satisfaction to me. Well done.

David DeCristoforo
12-24-2012, 9:44 AM
"...What is the size?..."

6.5" X 9" with a wall thickness of 3/16".

Scott Hackler
12-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Very nice work David. It's got a very pleasing shape and the wood is extremely nice.

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2012, 8:18 PM
Beautiful piece David! Love the form and the wood is awesome, together they make an exceptional piece!