PDA

View Full Version : anchorseal alternative?

Joe Judge
04-26-2005, 8:48 PM
You all shame me with your wood gloats :-(

However, a lady in Brockton/MA is giving away CHERRY (see pict).

It looks to be starting to crack a bit ... can I use Thompson waterseal or something ? I've no anchorseal here.

--joe

Bob Hovde
04-26-2005, 9:24 PM
I've used left over latex paint in the past, before I got anchorseal. It works fairly well.

Bob

John Miliunas
04-26-2005, 9:30 PM
Nice score, Joe. In the absence of Anchorseal (great stuff, BTW!), I've done like Bob with the latex paint. Also, I've even squirted some leftover paint in spray cans and, if you have any old white glue, dilute it w/water and slather that on there.:cool:

Carole Valentine
04-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Do you have a Woodcraft anywhere near? They carry their own brand similar to Anchorseal. You might put it in plastic bags until you get something to seal it with. That will retard the drying/cracking process.

Joe Judge
04-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Ah -- thanks all.

I'll ignore my Thompsons waterseal, leave the wood in my black trashbags until I hit Woodcraft this weekend.

--joe

Mark Patoka
04-27-2005, 8:20 AM
I use the Woodcraft product which works well or old latex paint. The Woodcraft stuff goes for about $15-20 a gallon if I remember correctly.

Jim Becker
04-27-2005, 9:44 AM
Consider ordering a 5 gallon pail of Anchorseal from UC Coatings and splitting it with a few other turners in your area. My 5 gallon bucket cost just a little over $45 shipped when I bought it awhile ago.

Dave Smith
04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
I have used latex type roof coating with good results. I think it might have been Snow's brand. Tree wound compound also works but the asphalt type causes problems when machining the sealed pieces. DAMHIKT Some people advocate construction adhesive such as liquid nails to seal the ends of large pieces. They use a caulking gun to apply some mastic and spread it over the surface with a putty knife. As said before glue works well also.

I now use Anchorseal because it is the least messy and it works well. It can be removed from voids with alcohol or other solvents. I keep an old soap bottle in my shop full of anchorseal. I squirt some sealer on the piece and spread it with a brush. The brush becomes stiff when it dries but it softens quickly when exposed to fresh sealer. I also carry a bottle and brush sealed in a zip lock bag in my truck. It has come in handy many times.

Good luck with your wood. The alcohol drying process is especially effective with cherry reducing both cracks and warpage.

Dave Smith

Wax and alcohol pusher in Longview, WA.

Dan Lanicek
04-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Never tried it myself but I've been told by other turners that Titebond diluted w/ water at a 1:1 ratio works as a sealer.