PDA

View Full Version : Adding a storage cabinet to a workbench

Clarence Martin
12-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Looking for some additional storage space for my tools and I was thinking of adding a cabinet of some sort underneath one of my workbenches . Has anyone added a cabinet to their workbench after it was already built ?

Rick Potter
12-23-2012, 6:26 PM
Yup,

In my case I simply made a box (cabinet) that fit under the bench top, and on the shelf down near the bottom. It can be removed if I ever want to change anything. It has four large drawers that hold a whole bunch of stuff. Nothing fancy, just part. board case, with plywood drawers, painted white, but it has worked well for at least 10 years. Use full extension guides for best access. The bench top on mine overlaps 4" for clamping.

Rick Potter

Ray Newman
12-23-2012, 6:42 PM
In the old shop, I made a book case type unit from scrap plyw'd. to fit under the bench for hand-held power tools. Added metal track for adjustable shelves. Did not make it too deep as not to block the bench dogs slots. Been putting of something similar.

For drawers, install over travel pull out track hardware. That will ensure total access and visibility to all the contents.

Carl Beckett
12-23-2012, 6:57 PM
Yup,

In my case I simply made a box (cabinet) that fit under the bench top, and on the shelf down near the bottom. It can be removed if I ever want to change anything. It has four large drawers that hold a whole bunch of stuff. Nothing fancy, just part. board case, with plywood drawers, painted white, but it has worked well for at least 10 years. Use full extension guides for best access. The bench top on mine overlaps 4" for clamping.

Rick Potter

+1

On one of my benches, I added a simple plywood box with drawers on simple metal slides. Something I threw together in a hurry.

That, combined with 4 sections of old kitchn cabinets right above it put everything within reach. Very practical. 8years later and I would repeat if starting from scratch.

Chris Fournier
12-23-2012, 8:30 PM
Win win. Tools at your finger tips and a very heavy bench.

glenn bradley
12-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Yep. I left clearance for passing clamps underneath and retrieving things that fall down the dog holes. . . not that anything ever would ;-)

The drawer unit on the left is the first one I added. I learned from it that I wanted some space between storage and the workbench top. The other drawers were built with this in mind.

Rick Potter
12-24-2012, 3:21 AM
Wow,

Looking at Chris and Glenns benches, I am sure glad I am too dumb to post pics. Mine is just made out of construction lumber and MDF, painted the same white I used on the walls. I cut cardboard on it, beat the daylights out of it, glue and paint on it, and whatever else needs doing. Epoxied on it tonight. Never had a real woodworkers bench.

Those look very nice, and a great use of under bench space.

Rick Potter

Corey Filkins
12-24-2012, 3:26 PM
I am in the process of building my bench (been on going for 9 months now between other proects, work and two little kids). For the under part of my bench I am using a combination of a few designs where the outside is legs are 8/4 hard maple with a plywood cabinet in the middle. Two sets of full extension drawers (varying in size, and tbd right now). It has a 5 inch space between the bottom of the bench and the top of the cabinet for putting work in progess parts, tools, etc.

The support for the floor is basically 2.5" x 3" (the 3" is a glue up of 2" and a 1" board, where I was able ot dado the 2" prior to gluing to form a mortise)

I glued up the base legs last night and just finished attaching the cabinet. I plan to cover all plywood edges with 5/4 or 4/4 maple to give it a "flat panel" look and feel.

Here are the legs after glue up and then after being attached.

One of the plans is from American Wooder April 1998 issue 65, look on google books for it.

I should have plenty of space, as I am limited on the shop sq ft'age for right now.

Chris Fournier
12-24-2012, 5:05 PM
Wow,

Looking at Chris and Glenns benches, I am sure glad I am too dumb to post pics. Mine is just made out of construction lumber and MDF, painted the same white I used on the walls. I cut cardboard on it, beat the daylights out of it, glue and paint on it, and whatever else needs doing. Epoxied on it tonight. Never had a real woodworkers bench.

Those look very nice, and a great use of under bench space.

Rick Potter

I take care of my bench but as the years have piled on I confess that I use it much like you do yours. Nothing is sacred. It's a bench and I built it to do work, over the years "work" has moved on from "woodwork" and there are mixed media projects which make me cringe to do on the bench but it is a support player and we suck it up together. I currently have a 4' X 8' assembly table that I made and it has taken some of the punishment from my bench. I am greatful for that!

glenn bradley
12-24-2012, 5:37 PM
I take care of my bench but as the years have piled on I confess that I use it much like you do yours. Nothing is sacred. It's a bench and I built it to do work,

Chris speaks great wisdom. Heed the wise one's words. :)

Bill Huber
12-24-2012, 8:40 PM
Well I don't have one of those nice benches with the dog holes and all that nice stuff, I just have a workbench and I have put cabinets under about 3/4 of it.

Chris Fournier
12-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Well I don't have one of those nice benches with the dog holes and all that nice stuff, I just have a workbench and I have put cabinets under about 3/4 of it.

I like the organization Bill! Looks like a fun place to spend time.