PDA

View Full Version : An Unexpected Tool for the Turning Shop

Doug Herzberg
12-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Awhile back, I posted this blue pine bowl. I was unhappy with the rim, but I didn't know what to do about it as the tenon was gone and the bowl was slightly out of round. I decided to reshape it with my hand held 40 grit gouge, but I was almost immediately transported back in time to the days of the dull pocket knife and the worn out sandpaper, when I was trying to make my first Pinewood Derby car for Cub Scouts. I knew I needed a power tool. It finally hit me to try holding the bowl upside down over the oscillating spindle sander. It turned out to be pretty easy and the table of the sander gave me a point upon which to rest the bowl and control the effort. I think it's an improvement.

Since the first photo, I added some gloss WOP. Boy does that show off the tool marks! C&C appreciated.

Toby Bouder
12-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice fix Doug. I like the new rim, much better look. I'll have to remember that trick.

Doug W Swanson
12-23-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree with Toby. The old rim isn't bad but the new one looks a lot better....

Roger Chandler
12-23-2012, 2:20 PM
Nicely "tweaked" Doug!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-23-2012, 4:38 PM
I think the bowl looks good with either rims, but the one that pleases you the best is what you should go with, well done :)

Eric Gourieux
12-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree that both look nice, but the new rim is an improvement. Creative thinking.

Marc Himes
12-24-2012, 8:27 AM
I like them both and agree with Leo. It looks like you did a really nice job of getting it smooth and finishing it well. Nice work.