PDA

View Full Version : Adjust-A-Bench Legs for a workbench

Mike Holbrook
12-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I did a search and could not find any posts about these workbench legs although I believe I have read about people using them on this site. This is a set of metal frames that one attaches to the bottom of a bench top to make an adjustable work surface 26 1-2 <> 43". Granted they may not be the most physically attractive option. Still in regard to functionality I am wondering if they can provide the sort of solid work surface one might want for hand tool operations like planing and chiseling? Highland Woodworking sells these and I have seen them for many years in their store.

I have collected materials: wood (for a top), vises, dogs, Surface Clamps, Hold Downs... for a revised version of Bob Lang's 20th Century Workbench. The front of the bench will have a leg vise with Benchcrafted hardware (which is probably the reason not to use this base system). The end will have a Veritas Quick-Release Sliding Tail Vise , requiring a minimum 17" x 6 1/2" area. I still do not have a final plan for the base. From the information I have it appears that the two metal end pieces are supported by two owner supplied wooden stretchers, much like Bob's bench. I believe the stretchers would provide a location for dog holes. The design also requires 4 lengths of 2/8-16 threaded rod (length of workbench). One can also purchase a set of "One Rail Brackets" which eliminates the stretcher on one side of the bench, allowing a place the worker can sit at and work on the bench. There are also caster packages available. I would certainly have to add

Anyone use this system? I am wondering if it would work on a Robo Split top bench?

Gary Hodgin
12-23-2012, 1:20 PM
I can't answer your question about the Robo split, but I bought a Noden Adjust-a-bench about 8 years ago at a woodworking show. I got the legs and castner package. I'd planned on building the top but decided to buy a Sjoberg bench top and put the building project off for a while. Never built the bench top since the sjoberg and some additional hardware have worked nicely.

I don't think there are any restrictions on a bench top other than avoiding the adjust-a-bench hardware that connects the top. As I recall, there are different caster packages and maybe different stretcher packages for different size bench tops. My bench top is around 64 in long and 20 in wide. The top includes a front and tail vise. These are just the standard ones that came with the bench top.

I like the bench a lot and it fit my space and versatility needs well. The primary problem I've had is with the bench top vises. I added some veritas bench hardware and a couple of Gramercy holdfasts but can't hold much of anything vertically. I have a Moxon vise on the way from toolsforwoodworking that should help with that.

One thing you might want to do if you have any doubts is to contact Geoff Noden if the guys at Highland can't give you an answer. I phoned him with a question on mine and he was very helpful. His website has a gallery of user pics that you might want to take a look at.

http://www.geoffreynoden.com/

Chuck Nickerson
12-24-2012, 1:58 PM
I used the Noden adjustable legs for one of my benches. To separate the legs I built a tool storage cabinet and bolted to the legs.
This set-up would certainly support a split-top design. Great idea! I think I'll roll that way in February.

The leg units are very solid for handplaning. The casters are as solid as casters get. Wedging them makes them solid enough for handplaning.

With the current Lee Valley free shipping, a QR tail vise is on its way. Hopefully to be installed in January.

One wrinkle: the thicker your top and the more vises you add, the more effort to lift the top up and down.

Jim Koepke
12-24-2012, 2:11 PM
One wrinkle: the thicker your top and the more vises you add, the more effort to lift the top up and down.

You say that as if it is a bad thing. It is my excuse to convince my wife the shop needs a chain hoist.

jtk

Jim Neeley
12-25-2012, 4:40 AM
Hey guys... I take no credit for this solution. Eric Brown came up with the idea and was gracious enough to share it with me. I just made it my own.

I built my adjust-a-bench a couple of years ago. It is a laminated construction lumber top, 3'x7'x 3.25" with an 8/4 front that's 5.25" and runs the 7' length. There's about 16" of overhang on each end. The top weighs in at something over 250#, without vices.

It has a L-N chain-drive vise with 24" spacing, 34.5" long overall on one face side. Between the steel hardware and maple jaw, it weighs in about 70#.

Directly across from it is a patternmakers vice http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/patternmakerswoodworkingvise.aspx that weighs in at 60#

It takes about 25# of lifting force to adjust the bench.

The secret to the lightening the lifting force are constant force springs, made by Vulcan Spring company.

As you will see from the pictures I used five each model SH25S52 25# rated springs on the heavy end (http://www.vulcanspring.com/stock-constant-force-spring-sh25s52) The nice thing about this approach is you can add or subtract springs until you have the desired lifting force. They make them in a range of forces and sizes.

FWIW, I have a LV twin-screw for the far end, with 8" jaws.

It's an awesome bench-base, in my opinion, and even with it weighing in at 400-500#, it is very easy to roll. With the feet down / casters up it is very stable.

YMMV..

Jim