PDA

View Full Version : 14" AMT bandsaw

Alan Muller
12-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I have one of these, gotten from a Habitat ReStore for a few bucks. It seems like a higher-end clone saw of the 1980s--cast iron wheels, cast iron table extensions front and back, decent motor tagged 1 hp. The table trunnions are broken--my fault for moving the saw by pulling on the table.

Anybody have any experience replacing these? Are they interchangeable with other clone saw trunnions?

Thanks.

am

Tony Zaffuto
12-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Good luck with the trunnions-are they cast iron or aluminum? You may be able to find someone to braze them, but you may also need to have a machinist true them to one another afterwards.

What I remember about AMT, is from a few catalogs of their I recieved. They seemed to clone well know brands, like your 14" BS was a clone of the Delta of that era. They mostly sold their equipment without a motor, pulleys, belts and switches, to hold costs down. I was tempted a few times, but in that era Delta equipment was still US made and the AMT were Taiwan. I may not be sure, but they came to market around the same time as Grizzly, Lobo, Sunhill and several other names I can't remember at the moment. I have no knowledge of the quality of the equipment, other than they were clones.

Jeff Qualmann
12-24-2012, 8:49 AM
Alan - I did the same thing with my Jet/Delta clone saw gotten on the cheap at an auction. Laid it down to transport and broke one of the cast aluminum trunnions. Fortunately, a little internet search gave me a parts list for a similar Jet model and less then 10 bucks later I had a set of two replacements.

I'll check and see if I still have the part number info for you.

george wilson
12-24-2012, 9:10 AM
Likely they are cast pot metal.

Myk Rian
12-24-2012, 10:05 AM
It's very possible Delta trunions will fit it.

ken masoumi
12-24-2012, 2:47 PM
Anybody have any experience replacing these? Are they interchangeable with other clone saw trunnions?

Thanks.

am
I don't know for sure but you may find it on Ebay,they sell replacement parts for jet, Delta ,etc.

Curt Harms
12-25-2012, 9:22 AM
If all else fails, you might call Iturra designs in Jacksonville, FL. He is supposed to be the Delta 14" guru.

Gus Dundon
12-26-2012, 2:18 PM
You may want to check some videos on youtube on how to change the table trunnions . I guess you can find one .