PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust and Cherry bowls

Michael Pfau
04-26-2005, 7:57 PM
Hi guys and gals, I wanted to show you a couple of bowls I made. Honey Locust, and a natural edge Cherry. Thanks for looking.

Ted Calver
04-26-2005, 8:03 PM
Mike,
Great looking bowls!! What finish did you use? I don't remember any of that kind of wood growing in Montana when I lived there....now lodgepole pine I do remember.
Ted

Michael Pfau
04-26-2005, 8:43 PM
Tung oil and poly. I got the blanks on ebay! And yes..lodgepole is-a-plenty here!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2005, 8:45 PM
Great looking bowls Michael!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 9:03 PM
Michael, those are both great looking bowls! i really like the natural edged cherry! It is very hard to choose though.

Keep up the great work!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Nice work, Mike. Both bowls are keepers. The finish looks great and the forms are very good.

Glenn Hodges
04-27-2005, 7:23 AM
That dry honey locust can be hard stuff to work, and I hate it when the bark comes off a natural edge piece. I usually glue it back on and keep going. I like the bowls. Someone said if you can turn honey locust you can turn anything because when it is dry you can't hardly drive a nail in it. Good work!

Blake McCully
04-27-2005, 9:37 AM
Great looking bowls. I agree with Glenn about the Honey Locust. I've not yet turned any dry stuff. The stuff I've turned was harvested last fall so it is still somewhat wet. Even being wet, that sucker is hard :mad: But, I have one finished and I plunked another into the alky bath this past weekend. It should be stable this coming weekend. Then I'll give it a shot at finishing it.