PDA

View Full Version : Putting tools in storage

ed vitanovec
12-22-2012, 11:06 PM
I have some tools with cast iron tops that I need to put in storage for at least 1 year. I am concerned about the tops rusting, what do you all recommend I do to protect them?

Thanks!
Ed

Peter Kelly
12-22-2012, 11:55 PM
VCI paper. Not easy to find in smaller quantities but certainly easier to remove than Cosmoline.

Jim Andrew
12-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I'd be tempted to brush the tops with grease. We used to have to grease plow moldboards, just took a paint brush and spread grease like you were painting them. If you put a layer of wax paper over the grease, it won't dry like it would uncovered. I just cleaned up 2 new machines, one had wax paper, and the grease was easy to remove with paper towels, the other grease had dried, used a putty knive to scrape it off. Be a lot easier to clean up than rust spots.

HANK METZ
12-23-2012, 6:59 AM
You may already have the solution on your finishes shelf: boiled linseed oil. It polymerizes and forms a very effective barrier. I've used it for years on drill press tables, columns, machine restorations, etc.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

ed vitanovec
12-24-2012, 1:15 AM
Hank, I will buy some boilded linseed oil. I don't have a lot of time to order any special sparys so the linseed oil may be best. So how does this stuff clean up?

HANK METZ
12-24-2012, 5:38 AM
Don't clean it up Ed, it's a legitimate wearing surface coat (https://www.google.com/search?q=linseed+oil+metal+protection&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a), like wax, only it greatly inhibits the attraction of moisture far better. Just daub some on a rag and wipe it on, wipe off excess- you don't need a heavy build.

- Beachside Hank

ed vitanovec
12-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks Hank! I bought some today and will coat the tops tomorrow. How long will this coating last with my tools in storage?

HANK METZ
12-25-2012, 9:01 AM
That would depend on the storage conditions Ed, but I suspect you'll have no major concerns when it's time to setup again.

- Beachside Hank