PDA

View Full Version : Carbide forstner bits?

Dave Cav
12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Anyone using them? Specifically the Grizzly models, but all input is appreciated. The Grizzly set looks pretty attractive. I've used a lot of their router and shaper cutters and have been happy with them, so I suspect the forstner bits are OK, but I would appreciate some feedback. The other alternative is Freud but they are a good bit more expensive.

Dave Lehnert
12-22-2012, 10:29 PM
I have the Freud set. They work very well. Only problem will be sharpening them when the time comes.
The one thing with Freud stuff is the tolerance is very close. I have a JET table saw and a Freud saw blade will just slide over the arbor. No wiggle room at all. Same can be said for their drill bits. Drill a hole, insert a dowel the same size and you will have a tough time removing it if needed.

Bruce Page
12-23-2012, 12:07 AM
I also have the Freud set, they cut really well.

Robert Chapman
12-23-2012, 9:32 AM
+3 on the Freuds. I have had mine for many years. I work with hardwood and find that non carbide Forestner bits dull very quickly. I have never had to have my Freuds sharpened. Carbide is more expensive but in my view worth the cost.

Jay Rasmussen
12-23-2012, 9:56 AM
I bought a ¾ from Rockler in there brand a few weeks ago with a 20% off coupon. It works very well; I’ll be getting more in the sizes I use regularly.

John Piwaron
12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
I've got a couple of the blue colored ones from Rockler. I think they work very well. I wouldn't be averse to trying the Freud brand.

Phil Thien
12-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I've got both Grizzly sets (all 31 pieces). Love them. They aren't as sharp, initially, as a HSS bit. But they don't lose their edge. Using them today to make a stand for some little desert cups my wife is bringing to Christmas dinner tomorrow.

I'm including a picture of my bit storage, I've posted it before. The Grizzly bits are the bottom row.