PDA

View Full Version : Shop pets / noise issues...

Ed Aumiller
12-22-2012, 9:47 PM
Live in mountains of Virginia, it is getting cold outside thru the day...

Have a dog that wants to be in the wood shop with me when working there....

In the spring / summer / fall seasons she goes outside the shop when running tools such as the
planer, router, bandsaw that all make loud high pitched sounds... i.e. tools that I put on ear
protection for me...

Question is.... I either have to put the dog in the house or outside when using noisy tools to
prevent damage to her ears.. If no one else is home, she hates it in house... and it is too cold
outside...

Is there any easy or obvious solution to this problem that I cannot see ???

Is there any type of noise ear protection for dogs that is actually usable ???

Scott T Smith
12-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Ed, you need to pick up a pair of "Mutt Muffs". They work great!

ray hampton
12-23-2012, 3:23 PM
will your dog keep them on his/her head or pull them off

Scott T Smith
12-23-2012, 5:52 PM
will your dog keep them on his/her head or pull them off

Ray, she's pretty good about wearing them (she's worn them for up to an hour at a time). The first time that she wore them she didn't know what to think of them, and I only left them on her for a minute. The next time two minutes, etc until we worked our way up to an hour.

Shea is a Belgian Malinois, and although they are high maintenance they are very trainable.

ray hampton
12-23-2012, 7:31 PM
do we call your breed of dog a water dog ?
how can you know for sure that the ear-muffs are doing their job

Ed Aumiller
12-23-2012, 9:51 PM
Many thanks for info...

Never heard of them....

Will try them or maybe a more economical version, but definitely what was looking for...

Dog is a mutt, but very smart and think she will keep them on if tell her to do it...

Thanks,

Will advise...

Ed A.

Scott T Smith
12-23-2012, 10:26 PM
how can you know for sure that the ear-muffs are doing their job

Because when she's wearing them, if I call her she doesn't respond unless I shout.

do we call your breed of dog a water dog ?

Mal's are considered to be a "working dog", and were originally bred in the late 1800's to herd and protect animals in Belgium. Today they are mainly used by the police and military due to the sensitivity of their noses (good for IED and drug detection), and also the fact that they are highly trainable.