PDA

View Full Version : Narex classic bevel edge chisels

Dave Cav
12-22-2012, 9:42 PM
The 4 chisel set arrived Thursday and I finally got around to honing them this afternoon. The backs are a little concave, but they flattened (I only flattened/polished the last 1/2" or so) without any trouble. The tool marks disappeared almost immediately. I probably spent less than a half hour total flattening the backs of all four of them to my satisfaction. I started with a DMT black ex-coarse diamond and then went to a DMT blue (medium) from there, then Shapton Pro 1K and 5K. I didn't bother with the 8K. They sharpened with very little effort on the Shaptons, and after sharpening I stropped them on a piece of leather with green polishing compound. They are very sharp, and I used them for some minor tenon paring this evening. I got them mostly for heavier mallet work, as I generally use my vintage socket chisels for paring, but I think the Narex would be a good choice for any bench (non-mortise) work and would make an excellent starter set for someone starting out. They also came in true inch sizes which is a nice bonus.

I also have a set of the Narex mortise chisels, and they are very satisfactory as well.

Michael Dedon
12-23-2012, 10:54 AM
+1 with that. IMO, excellent value.

glenn bradley
12-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Which ones, specifically, did you get? Bevel edge? Classic bevel edge? I hear many folks say these are quite a deal for their relatively low cost.

paul cottingham
12-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Great chisels. I have the older bevel edge ones, and really like them. I admit I bought a new LV 1" and 1/4" chisel to balance out the set, I use them for paring, and ironically, for chopping.
but that's just me being a woodworker (just one more tool, dear! I promise!) the Narex tools are pretty much fine.

Don Dorn
12-23-2012, 2:45 PM
Like many here, I have too many chisel sets. However, the set that hangs over the bench for everyday use are Narex. For dovetails specifically, I love my Japanese set but it's hard to beat the Narex - flattened easy, hold an edge pretty well, easy to sharpen and inexpensive to boot. If figure that someone in Prague will soon figure out why they are so popular and increase the price.

Dave Cav
12-23-2012, 4:08 PM
Which ones, specifically, did you get? Bevel edge? Classic bevel edge? I hear many folks say these are quite a deal for their relatively low cost.

I got the 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1" set, classic bevel edge from Lee Valley (of course), with the black handles. One of these days I may get a bad tool from Lee Valley, but it sure hasn't happened yet.