PDA

View Full Version : Old wood hollow plane mfg id?

Bill Brush
12-22-2012, 8:41 PM
I just took possession of another old plane. I thought it would be the mate to my #12 round that I bought last month, but it is a #15 hollow instead. The manufacturer is different also and I haven't been able to find any information about it. I'm attaching pictures of the mark, but it appears to be a star, then the word one, then "Phila" (possibly Philadelphia) repeated so that it forms a triangle with the word "one" and then another star.

The plane iron appears to be wrought iron with a steel cutting edge.

Anyone have any light to shine on this tool mystery?

Mark Dorman
12-22-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm not finding anything ether. but I did find this link that had some made in Philadelphia but no view of the mark. http://www.oldtools.com/wooden.html

Mel Miller
12-25-2012, 5:14 PM
Pollak's book shows that mark to be J.T. Jones, 1831-46. It also says to see Eagle Factory.

Mel

Bill Brush
12-26-2012, 3:55 PM
Thanks Mel!

I'm sure it's not unusual for the old hands around here, but I'm still kind of stunned to find tools that are almost 200 years old in my shop. I often wonder what the men who made them would think if they knew.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks Mel!

I'm sure it's not unusual for the old hands around here, but I'm still kind of stunned to find tools that are almost 200 years old in my shop. I often wonder what the men who made them would think if they knew.

They would likely be popping buttons off their vests with pride of their workmanship.

jtk